WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!

Ok!...I want to Korp kuhn Kepth all of you for your wisdom and knowledge on "Bringing Her to the US"....but.....WE'VE Decided to GET MARRIED IN APRIL IN THAILAND!!!!....due to possibility she may never get a Visa because of the WAR!, and her circumstances.....Any suggestions on obtaining Visa procedures after marriage, costs....marriage licence, filing fees,.....waiting period?....Etc.....Thank You! :dunno:

A. TO MARRY A THAI CITIZEN YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. Complete an affidavit at the American Embassy. The affidavit form, available upon request, includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy.

2. Have the completed affidavit translated.

3. Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel:(02) 575-1057-8, Fax:(02) 575-1054

4. Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

a) Your American passport;

B) The Thai citizen's identification card;

c) If either party is under the age of twenty, written

permission from the parents (with Thai translation);

d) If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated; either divorce or death certificates. These documents if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

The above is current from US Embassy Web site and is your first step. Fees will be notarized document from ACSU($30), Thai translation/foreign ministry filling fee (1-2,000 baht?), fee to register marriage (few hundred baht?). You are now married. Next you have file a petition per: Marriage to Foreign National After that is approved she can apply for a immigrant visa at Bangkok. Time frame probably 6-18 months for most people.

Don't understand why you believe war has anything to do with anything but almost surly it will take longer for her to enter the USA in this manner than on: K-1 Visa Bangkok

I just received an e-mail from a visa assistance company in BKK and they advised to NOT marry in Thailand or if we did not to register the marriage.

Neverthsame

Great !! I just wanna say " congratulation " :D

And good luck.

By the way she working in the bar scene ?

Where did u meet her ?

How many times you see her b4 you take this decision ?

Maybe i will do it soon...maybe.. ;)

So i'm interested too

Danny,

Says dannyboy1:

Ok!...I want to Korp kuhn Kepth all of you for your wisdom and knowledge on "Bringing Her to the US"....but.....WE'VE Decided to GET MARRIED IN APRIL IN THAILAND!!!!....due to possibility she may never get a Visa because of the WAR!, and her circumstances.....Any suggestions on obtaining Visa procedures after marriage, costs....marriage licence, filing fees,.....waiting period?....Etc.....Thank You!
:dunno:

"Korp"? "Kepth"?

Whatever, I hate to throw water on your party but Songran is coming up. I agree with the other posters that your decision does not seem to make sense, at least not for the reasons you state.

Unless you are served by the BCIS Nebraska Service Center, it will take less time and effort to get a K1 visa for a fiancee than a K3 or CR1 for a spouse.

If your fiancee may never get a visa due to war or her circumstances, she may likewise never get a visa as your wife. For exactly the same reasons. Though I don't know how you figure the war with Iraq has anything to do with a visa for a Thai woman.

Read the BCIS website for information about petitioning for a spouse, and the US embassy and DOS web sites for information about the visa. Once you have a rough idea of what's involved, then come back and ask specific questions about the items that still aren't clear to you.

Regards, JEff

Agree with KhnMarried.... If you want to marry in Thailand, then by all means, do so and congratualtions. However, if you're looking to be married (and the place in which you do it not that "big" of a deal) and you're looking for the TWO of you to immigrate back to the US, then it is **highly** advisable to go the K-1 process as the waiting time from beginning to end will be substantially shorter versus the alien soouse of an American citizen route...

If the embassy tells you this then there must be some valid reason for such... Having done this route myself, I can say that from the day I mailed my I-129F (to Nebraska) to the day of our interview was 139 days. (and this was post 9-11, but before the current gulf conflict) I would highly doubt that the current gulf conflict would add any material amount of time onto the current waiting/processing time.

--UPSer

" I can say that from the day I mailed my I-129F (to Nebraska) to the day of our interview was 139 days. (and this was post 9-11, but before the current gulf conflict)"

That is very fast for Nebraska, do you remember when you mailed the I-129F to Nebraska? Jay

Jay--

I UPSed it (yes, you can use private carriers) and it was received on 9/27. Got my initial NOA (Notice of Action) 13 days later (indicating that the fee was properly paid).. Never got an RFE (Request for Evidence) since I literally "drowned" them with proof... 29 pages of proof.. photos, sworn statements, travel receipts, passport page copies, emails, telephone records, statements from UPS managers in Thailand, etc, etc.

One interesting thing.. When I got my approval notice the DATE that a lot of websites had as the "we are currently working on these files dated..." has not even come up yet.. This tells me that the INS/BCIS must not always take files in the exact order as they are received...

I prepared my petition like a legal proceeding.. binded, index tabbed, exhibits outlined, everything that was a copy was either certified or sworn... the whole 9-yards... I'm guessing here, but I would suspect that since my file was all ready to go and was neatly assembeled, they "knocked it off" quick.

Only a guess, but makes sense.

--UPSer

Archived