"I'm Not Sure"

gawguy

Let us say hypothetically that someone I may know who is certainly less intelligent than I am ran into the following situation:

He receives a telephone call from a lady. She gives her name, but my friend does not remember the name. Sometimes thai names are confusing. When she says, "You foget me, na!?" He doesn't want to admit it. He wants to say he is not sure who she is. He does not want to say it too directly, like "jam mai dai." He wants to say, "I'm not sure who you are. I want to remember."

My friend will be very happy for some help.

Oh thing I am pretty sure of: "mai che-wa" doesn't work here since it implies someone is lying.

GG

"I'm not sure who you are" - phom mai naee jai wah khun pen krai.

¼ÃäÃèá¹èã¨ÇèҤسà»ç¹ã¤Ã

'mai naee jai' = not sure...

Cheers

FF

<<another related word is 'man jai' for sure.>>

I would translate "MAN(h) JAI" as 'confident'.

I agree with FF that 'sure' would be NAE(f) JAI in this case.

Another word for sure is NAE(f)-NAWN, with a meaning closer to 'certain'. This would describe an event or thing, where NAE(f) JAI would describe a person.

"Another word for sure is NAE(f)-NAWN, with a meaning closer to 'certain'. This would describe an event or thing, where NAE(f) JAI would describe a person. "

Nae-norn, and Nae-jai are both used to express a feeling, not to describe a person or thing. Roughly translated as 'certain' and 'sure'...

Says luckyfarang:

I would translate "MAN(h) JAI" as 'confident'.

Would you also say that a 'confident' person is 'sure' of themselves?

Talk about splitting hairs.

On the 'Nae' debate

'Nae norn' would describe an event, thing, action or person.

'Nae jai' would descibe the state of a person being 'nae'

"'Nae norn' would describe an event, thing, action or person.

'Nae jai' would descibe the state of a person being 'nae' "

Yes, you are correct here and I'm sure we'll agree on the usage etc. My other post was just trying to state that it,'nae-jai' in particular, does not actually describe a person as originally stated. I guess this is just pedantic now, but technically speaking it describes the feeling, or the 'state' of a person as you say. The same can be said with 'Nae-non'....the feeling of certainty one has about something.. but in my huff I overlooked the fact that it's also used to describe events, actions etc..

Had to stop and ponder for a moment whether 'sure' and 'certain' are adjectives..and I'm a teacher::. Well, I pretend to be at least..;).

Cheers

FF

Couldn't say.. don't know. :p

Maybe could be some kind of metaphoric use such as ' as sure as you sleep' ??? maybe something akin to our 'as sure as the sun shines'...

Maii roooo

Cheers

FF

Archived