Book recomm. & fiction books on Thai are crap!!

trotsky2

"I started to doubt Add Carabao's the credibility about 10 years ago when I saw him driving his Proshe near Ram. He was also the national handgun champion at the time. "

I love Carabao's music. But lets face it - many of the groups/singers who work to get their messages out as more than music are assholes. I think I read that Lennon liked to beat up women...

My first reaction was when they were sponsored by Coca Cola.. Thats something when one considers the anti american views many of the songs have. A lot of the stuff comes across as pretty naive and safe, popular opinions to have. Like praising Che Guevera.

Whatever, I will still buy their next album.

Cheers!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and i have met a member of his band about the same time, when i did not know much about that place here, at the place of a very infamous godfather (please don't ask me how i got there, or the trouble that brought me into...).

now i have learned a lot more about the very strange and shady dealings and connections, this weird greyzone where good and bad somehow don't seem to exist anymore (and that i should keep my head covered all the time, not meddle in affairs beyond me...well, not to much ::).

• 2 weeks later...

Guy's I know there's a lot of positive & negative comment here, I won't be specific but it's very easy to stand in criticism of another writer's work until you've actually written a book yourself. If I'm speaking out of turn sorry, but it ain't as easy as it looks..

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I think there are quite a good many very fine novels written about Bangkok. Some popular fiction and some high literature. It all comes down to taste.

SP Somtow's Jasmine Nights written from the perspective of a well born Thai child having his first awakening to the wider world is one that doesn't seem to get mentioned much but it a truly great book. Somtow lives in LA now and has a fair amount of fame as a writer of horror novels (also set largely in Thailand). He's a literary writer who crosses over well to popular mediums and writes in English so you're not reading some garbled translation.

I find it ironic when someone complains that farang writers in Thailand write about prostitutes and bars. This is like complaining that a writer based in Vietnam in 1969 talks about the war. It may be unjust that the world sees Thailand in this sense and, yes, it is only part of the story, but however you look at it we're trying to sell books here. There are plenty of other experiences to be had in Thailand but avoiding Thai nightlife is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot commercially. Having said that there are plenty of writers who seem to have managed this feat Anthony Grey in The Bangkok Secret for one. I know this novel is controversial in a way that makes it even less popular among Thai people but it's a good book.

Mind you I think Emmannuelle's a pretty good book too but then I'm a low-life scum bag.

Archived