World view of Thailand

rovineye

In the bars, restaurants, or anywhere where falangs frequent, I talk to Thais about everyday items in the news dealing with Thailand, and they are never surprised if you know a topic well. Maybe about Chalerm, or a tragic flood, or a gold scam. Same that you know a little Thai and probably more about the geography of Thailand then they do.

WHen I talk to my GF on the phone I am always up on the talk of the Kingdom (thanks to this board and on line news papers)

But the other day started me thinking. GF called me to tell me about medical checks at the airport. I said yes I know about it. She asks if I saw it on TV. Well of course I wouldn't and told her that. I asked her how much there is on TV in the USA about Thailand. She said only a little each day, not as much as there is about America on Thai TV tho.

I didn't have the heart to tell that Thailand doesn't even register on the radar screen but a few times a year. Sorry tilak. Not even the Kings birthday.

So all these Thais that are around falangs daily, do they have a slanted view of how much most of the world knows, or cares about Thailand? Oh yes, the ones they meet may care very much, but the other 95% only know they kind of like what they think is Thai food.

Interesting question... I don't know the answer...

I do know though that when I walk into a Thai restaurant in the US and speak a little Thai, the employees are quite surprised! And generally within a short time all the employees in the restaurant are coming over to meet me with big smiles, and want to talk about whatever I know of Thailand.

I get a similar, though more restrained, reaction whenever I go into a US Chinese restaurant and speak a little Mandarin.

In both cases, I get excellent service and am treated much better than I probably otherwise would be. They seem to really appreciate that you have taken the bother to learn some of their language/culture, which unfortunately not enough Americans do...

Sorry tilak.

--------------------------

I never had a feeling that thais feel sorry not to be on the radar screen. Certainly, a lot of countries do not show on that radar screen either. For example, if there is no presidential election or no war disagreement, it is rare to have news about France on US TV.

Certainly, thais can regret that the most news we hear from the intern. media is about prostitution, copyright laws, Gold caches, and protesters slinging crap at MPs.

Still, Thailand, with its prosperity and civil peace, is an important ally of the west in Asia, and counts big in terms of geo-politics and economics. That sort of standing does not register in news, because it's not related to any specific story, but just one has to remember where the 97 crisis started to see Thailand has a pivotal and essential role in the region, thgerefore, globally, the world.

Says pattaya127:

, a lot of countries do not show on that radar screen either.

That is for sure!

I just think most foreigners they run into have at least done a little research on Thailand and know a little bit. Those that don't go know nothing.

Would they feel bad about that. MAybe some yes, and maybe most no. :dunno:

P127,

Thailand does not count so big in terms of economics. The GDP per capita of thailand for instance is even lower than the world average. The Thai economy constitutes about 0.8 % (!) of the gross world product and is therefore quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I think that Rovineye's assessment of Thailand being a mere blimp on the radar screen is a good anology. The blimp that thailand puts on my radar screen however is quite big! :hug:

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived