Where to stay in Tokyo??

I don't know if this is the right section for this but no doubt if I'm wrong it'll be moved.

Can any of you guys in Tokyo who have been so helpful already help me with accomodation advice.???

I'm looking for somewhere in Tokyo for the first two weeks of July. My own room and not a youth hostel or big hotel. I have seen a couple of ads for a 'gaijin house' at about 25,000 yen a week. What is this and would you recommend it as a place to stay??

If not have you any other suggestions for clean budget accomodation..............hotels are so expensive!!!

Thanks again,

Uniformguy

If you book a hotel be sure that it is not too far from the main centers.

Main areas for life style, shops, party e.g.:

Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku/Omotesando and Roppongi. Expensive shopping: Ginza

Note: most cheaper hotels are not in this areas.

Very useful information on hotels, maps e.g. is free available at the Japanese National Tourist Organization JNTO, contact your local office. The address can be found in the Lonely Planet Japan - I found this guide most helpful on my trips.

I always stay in Japanese style hotels, so called Ryokans: Sleeping on Futon, sitting on the floor on Tatamis, Japanese style shared bath, mostly small wooden buildings with a very friendly atmosphere. Ryokans are cheaper for than hotels but more comfortable IMHO. And you get a feeling of "Japaneseness".

I liked the Kuramae Ryokan, Taito-ku, not far from Ueno. Unfortunately not very central located.

The worst Hotel/Ryokan in stayed in Japan: Sansui Ryokan, Gotanda.

I found this on the net:

DISCOUNT ACCOMODATIONS:

THE No. 1 Cheapest budget inn:

NEW KOYO INN

"The Backpacker's Hotel"

http://www.newkoyo.com

Rates: From 2,500yen per day!

81 (0) 3 3873-0343

Near Asakusa temple area.

(Try not to confuse AKAsaka and AsaKUSA

as they are as different as day and night!)

FREE use of internet in small lobby!

I stayed there years ago, a typical so called business hotel.

No. 2

Asia Center of Japan

(Asia Kaikan)

81 (0) 3 3402-6111

From 5,700yen per night (with private bath), 5,100yen (w/o bath)

E-mail: asiacnt@blue.ocn.ne.jp

In Aoyama. Very central!

7 minutes walk from Aoyama 1-chome station

Walk 15 min. to Roppongi entertainment area. :p

No. 3

Tokyo Weekly Mansion

(Palais Royale Akasaka)

(81) (3) 3434-3939

One week and longer stay only.

Akasaka area. Modern, but a bit dusty.

Rated no. 3 because although they

claim to be "international" they do not

bother to hire staff who can speak the

international language of English...!

You must pay an advance deposit of

about US$300.00 for electricity, etc.,

along with your week's room charge, of

which you are likely to receive about

half back when you leave after 1 week

*Mini-kitchens in rooms!

Walk 15-20 minutes to Roppongi.

One week will cost about 60,000yen.

Maid service is extra. You'll need to shop for your

own additional supplies (extra toliet paper, etc.).

I have seen a couple of ads for a 'gaijin house' at about 25,000 yen a week. What is this and would you recommend it as a place to stay??

Gaijin houses generally serve English teachers just off the plane. They're not that cheap and you generally have to share everything -- bathroom, fridge (uniform guy's butter.)

I recommend these business hotels -- cheap clean and comfortable.

There are serveral of these in Shinjuku which is a nightlife mecca in itself and is centrally located near other major nightlife areas -- Roppongi :D, Shibuya, Ebisu, and the naughty nightlife area of Kabukicho. Most don't have web sites nor speak much, if any, English so have fun making a booking.

One other thing Kamui, not all ryokan are cheaper than hotels. There are several top-range places that hit US $2-3000 a night. :doah:

The Asia Kaikan in trendy Aoyama looks a good deal. Plenty of eye candy! ::

Thanks guys a speedy and very informative reply as always. The backpacker place looks very cheap Kamui have you actually stayed there?? I can't believe that there is a decent place in the middle of Tokyo at that price. The rooms look very basic but are not dorm rooms which I cannot put up with any more.......even though I went to boarding school!!

I have sent them a booking form so we'll see what happens.

Uniformguy

Roppongi

what do you mean plenty of eye candy at the Asia Centre? I stayed there last time I was in Tokyo and don't remember there to be anything special at the place. Do you mean that it is only a short walk to Roppongi?

The best place I found for my favourite hobby of 'uniform viewing' was Ikebukuro and of course Shibuya.

Will either of you be able to join me for a bevvy or three during my trip at the beginning of July.?

Uniformguy

Says uniformguy:

The backpacker place looks very cheap Kamui have you actually stayed there?? I can't believe that there is a decent place in the middle of Tokyo at that price. The rooms look very basic but are not dorm rooms which I cannot put up with any more.......even though I went to boarding school!!

I have sent them a booking form so we'll see what happens.

Uniformguy

No I have never stayed there, after my initial trip I preferred to stay in a Japanese environment. And it is a little bit off the centers.

Anyway, if you like Ikebukuro, there is another cheap hotel I stayed a few years ago. As far as I remember it was clean and OK, but very small rooms too, which was no problem for me: Kimi Ryokan Actually, this seems to be famous for western travellers. Their homepage offers links to other cheap accommodations and even contains job offers, in case you spend all your money in certain clubs :hubba:

One other thing Kamui, not all ryokan are cheaper than hotels. There are several top-range places that hit US $2-3000 a night.

You are right. I would love to stay at the Hiiragiya Ryokan in Kyoto (1.500 US$ for a suite) for a few nights and would like to spend an evening in Gion at a famous tea house with Geishas, which maybe could cost the same. But unfortunately I have to pay for all of my trips by myself ::.

what do you mean plenty of eye candy at the Asia Centre?

I meant the Aoyama/Omotesando area. Full of boutiques and babes. :D

Keep in mind that the Backpackers place in Asakusa is a long, long ways from Ikebukuro and Shibuya.

I could be in Oz in the beginning of July but am trying to put if off. We all should be up for a night on the town.

Anyhow, I've arranged for four local delicacies (a stewardess, a nurse, a policewoman and a naughty schoolgirl, all naturally in uniform) to give you a warm, wet, welcome at the airport.

90 days and counting?

I don't know about the naughty schoolgirl but if this SARS epidemic keeps up I could expect to meet the other three.....

Anyway it hasn't put me off my trip to BKK for the first week in May.

Thanks for the info and do hope that we can meet up. A lot of the trip has yet to be planned and ticketed. Will keep in touch.

Uniformguy

• 1 month later...

Hi Kamui

Thanks a lot for the email address for the Asia Centre Hotel in Aoyama but the email has bounced back to me saying the server does not exist or something.

Anyone else have a website address or email for this place??

Thanks Uniformguy

Archived