Dual Use words

luckyfarang

Says luckyfarang:

Yet another post from Markle that is solely argumentative and makes absolutely no useful contribution.

..and here I was trying to be helpful.

Says luckyfarang:

The point is obvious (to anyone open minded) that NONE of these definitions are perfect synonyms of each other.

if you think that there is a fundamental difference between 1.recommend and 3.suggest then you are pedantic in the extreme. If you wanted to show words that had meanings that were totally unrelated then for the most part you failed miserably.

Says luckyfarang:

And while you're at it, learn how to spell "synonym".

OK right after I learn how to type. It must take a high level of anal retentiveness to point out typos on a web-board.

Says luckyfarang:

The point is that the dictionary is incomplete and innaccurate, and does not list the various possible meanings and usages in a comprehensive way for the newbies out there.

But neither do you.

Says luckyfarang:

My post was for the newbies out there and not for you, and I will let them judge it's usefulness.

Here lies my problem with many of your posts. Not only are they at best incomplete but they count on 'newbies' not being able to recognise them as such. Unlike High Thaied's efforts which aim to pass on what he has learnt and confirm it with some of the more well-versed members of the board, yours tend to come off as self-aggrandizement exercises to proclaim "Listen to me I speak Thai really good!". Not only that, you then have the affrontery to debate and argue with people who point out that you could be wrong. Shit, look at the 'LER' thread, "I don't agree with these two guys, come and prove me right!" How juvenile can you get.

Rant ends. :onfire:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<<if you think that there is a fundamental difference between 1.recommend and 3.suggest then you are pedantic in the extreme. >>>

Do you really think that 'recommend' and 'suggest' are perfect synonyms and don't have different usages? Or are you just trying to be argumentative? Quite a stretch to find something wrong with that post.

If you were truly concerned with helping the newbies, you would add to the post, not nitpick it.

<<<you then have the affrontery to debate and argue with people who point out that you could be wrong. Shit, look at the 'LER' thread, >>>

YOU were the one proved wrong on the LER thread. A word that has different spelling, pronounciation and meaning is NOT the same word.

My problem with your posts is they are all nitpicking and add nothing of substance. You are obsessed with "being right", even in situations where there is no clear "right and wrong".

àÃÕºÃéà(riab-roy) 1. demure, modest, polite, well-mannered (of a person)

2. tidy, orderly (of a place/ room)

3. finished, completed (of a task)

ÊÃà (sa)1. to wash (hair only)

2. a pool esp. swimming pool

(sa-ra) vowel

¼à (pom) 1. 1st person pronoun usually for males "I"

2. hair (on the head only not body hair)

...not because i necessarily want to mix up a well mannered cyber fight between you guys, but the way i see it: you both right!

Its really that simple.

There are several words in thai that have dual meaning. some of them are not spelled in the same way, but the pronounciation is the same, and that can be confusing.

some examples are clear others hazed. for instance the example about ¼Ã, which has two meanings. or the one about the swimmingpool, and the hairwash, i cant be bothered to spell it out on my shitty keys now.

Dual meaning, not sy-eh-nomynous (sp)

A different tongue twister came here for mutual amusement

à¢Òà¢éÒÃҺá¢èÒÇÇèÒÃÕ¢éÒÇ¢ÒÇ

(kao-m-, kao-f-, ma-m-, bok-m-, kao-h-, wa-f-, me-f-, kao-f-, kao-r-)

meaning: he came in and told them that there was some white rice.

I have transcripted like this:"m" is midtone

" f" is falling

and " h" is high tone.

Please correct me if im wrong.

:neener:

Pharcyde

"Please correct me if im wrong."

Sure.. ( kao-R-, kao-f-, ma-m-, bok-m-, kao-L-, wa-f-, me-M-, kao-f-, kao-r-)

Cheers and happy learning all!

FF

"""I'm not markle but can answer.. ÊÃà (s-ra) can translate as 'vowel'.. where as ÊÃà (sa) with same spelling but a silent 'r' sound means pond, or pool as in sa-wai-nam.."""

ÊÃà as a noun means "vowel"

ÊÃà as a verb means "to wash, to rinse etc".

ÊÃà in itself does not translate into "pool, pond", but is the classifier for "ponds /pools of water".

Says markle:

àÃÕºÃéà(riab-roy) 1. demure, modest, polite, well-mannered (of a person)

2. tidy, orderly (of a place/ room)

3. finished, completed (of a task)

ÊÃà (sa)1. to wash (hair only)

2. a pool esp. swimming pool

(sa-ra) vowel

¼à (pom) 1. 1st person pronoun usually for males "I"

2. hair (on the head only not body hair)

Good post, Markle.

Not trying to start a disagreement, but in my experience with RIAP(f)-RAWY(h), I hear definition 2 and 3 frequently, but not 1.

Did you get this order from the dictionary? My guess is that usage number 1 is a bit outdated, and most dictionaries are old. I'm not necessarily saying that it isn't correct, but is certainly not the most frequently heard usage.

When applied to a person, I might hear TAENG(l) TUA RIAP(f) RAWY(h), which applies to the way a person dresses, but not the person himself.

Here is the way that I would translate those definitions:

MEE MA-RA-YAHT(f)...........well mannered

SOO-PHAAB(f)..................polite

TAUM(l)-TUA.....................modest,humble

"Demure" has slipped my mind, but I would guess KEE(f) AAI is the closest term in Thai.

I never hear anyone saying "KON RIAP(f) RAWY(h)". Am I missing something?

I have come across the question:

¤Ø³ªÃº¼ÙéË­Ô§àÃÕºÃéÃÂÃÑÂ?

as in: do you like well mannered girl?

or is there a dual meaning to that... :hubba:

well, at least my answer was yes... :grinyes:

Cheers,

PC

Actually it's the classifier also but 'sa' (ÊÃÃ) is a noun in itself and is the word for pond or resevoir. Only just last week in class we read a story that contained it..

And to confirm.. from So Setaputra dictionary..

"ÊÃà (ÊÃ) n. a pond, a reservoir."

I guess it's the same like 'hong' is the classifier for 'hong' (room) .. eg. rong ram nee mee hong 100 hong.

FF

Well, not to disagree with your experience but in my experience I'd have to say that I've heard the definition from no. 1 being one of the more common. It's definately not outdated. A person who is well-mannered and polite is often referred to as a 'riap roi' person.

Cheers,

FF

Archived