Phii Am

Fidel

I sometimes suffer from a condition which I believe can be best described as narcolepsy.

This is a condition which causes one to lapse into REM before one is fully asleep.

Your brain reacts by shutting the body down... paralysing you. In the meantime you hear and see things in the room, you are dreaming while conscious. Usually this phenomenon is marked by the feeling that there is a presence in the room.... or a spirit.

In the beginning it's a really frightening experience but you get used to it after a while and it becomes just a little less scary.

When I told people in the West of my narcoleptic experiences they wrote me off as a mad man.

When I told Thai people about my experiences they immediately told me that I had been visited by a Phii Am... a type of ghost.

The funny thing is... in Thailand people tell you you shouldn't sleep with your head pointing west... check the position of the bed in your room in Thailand and you'll find that the bed is rarely in a position that will have your head pointed west...

The times when I suffered most from this condition were when I was sleeping in beds pointed west.

Has anyone had similar experiences to mine and can anyone offer an explanation why this condition is seemingly so well known in Thailand?

:dunno:

Guest lazyphil

Thats it!...seriously my mrs believes in what your talking of, actually I dont diss it totally....just never happened to me yet.

Yes I have experienced this a lot, though never in LOS and usually from waking up not falling asleep. It is very scary and sometimes you feel as if something is attacking you.I don't think the bed position has anything to do with it though-peter

Your brain reacts by shutting the body down... paralysing you.

This has happened to me a few times before, although no spirits or alcohol involved.....that I'm aware of. ;)

Quite scary as I'm trying to move myself to a better sleeping position and my limbs just ignore ALL of my signals.

This one time I had some difficulties with breathing due to my awkward position. I tried to move with all of my force...nothing happened. I tried to shout ... nothing happened. I was half asleep half awake, but damn aware of the situation, I was really getting worried and scared. Luckily the 'spell' died shortly after my attempts.

I remember (15 years ago) when my friend died in his sleep..no heart problems, nothing, just an unexplainable natural death.....maybe this narcolepsy your're talking about was his end.

I hope this info doesn't bother you, Fidel. Not my intention, if so, I apologise.

Archived