Linux

greedisgood

Bought a work station (cheapie) with the "Linux OS" loaded in it. Bringing it over to my place in CM. Easy to use ? Better than MS Windows OS ?

Anyones thoughts on buying MS '02 in CM and loading it on the new machine ? A legal or even an unauthorized copy. How the heck do they get around the 30 day authorizing log in ? I know, I know, it's stealing. ::

Linux is very stable, never crashes, and you don't get viruses. I like it. But due to its incompatibility with all the other proggys i use (Adobe and Macromedia etc) I went back to Windows 2000.

MS '02 ? by this i presume you mean Windows XP ?

Any CD you get in Panthip is already 'cracked' that is you don't have to worry about the 30 day authorisation. And yes, technically its software piracy but as long as you're not using it for commercial purposes you're unlikely to get caught.

Windows XP, I believe you have to check what edition you have. The home edition entails you have to get authorized. Don't know what happens after 30 days, but I assume it freezes up your computer. This has been a huge pain in the but, because the OS generates a key based on what's installed on your computer, so if you change enough components, your system becomes unauthorized, and you have to CALL Microsoft. The only place to authorize your copy is via WEB or to call Microsoft, and they are going to ask for a serial # etc...

Business got up in arms so Microsoft's business edition allows you to enter a key that is not dependent on computer configuration. This is what's usually sold in Thailand (with the crack key provided).

This message may be over the top and sure the mod will edit it as necessary.

<<burp>>

This message may be over the top and sure the mod will edit it as necessary.

I will just say that is as far as I will let it go. I don't wan't this to be a discussion on how to enable pirated software.

Bought a work station (cheapie) with the "Linux OS" loaded in it.

Would this be a wall Mart Special?

As far as Windows or Linux which better, thats a highly subjective question. If the hardware you use isn't supported by Linux or you need an application that is only provided for Windows than you should probably be using Windows. You can run either the Windows operating system or Windows apps inside of Linux with a variety of products both pay and free. Its true that you can have two or many operating systems side by side on a computer. We have four computers at home three have W2k and one Mac OSX. We hardly ever use Windows, the exception would be when my wife loans her the laptop to someone. I don't bother to use OSX on my laptop anymore. If I need to I can type startmol -osx in a terminal and I have OS X without having to reboot it actually boots faster. So while many people do have dual boot computers I doubt that many are switching back and forth a great deal.

I have been using Linux on Macs and PCs since '97 and for what I do I haven't had to make any great sacrifices. I think the major misconceptions about Linux are that 1.its hard to install 2.its hard to use 3.there aren't enough applications and 4. it is imune to virus, trojans, or attacks.

1. Linux is at this point very easy to install and configure probably more so than Windows. You can install the operating system and all the applications you will use from several cds or one dvd in one session and only have to reboot once. Worlds less complicated than install the OS reboot, install a major app reboot, install new hardware boot install driver reboot. Unless you install a new kernel, new hardware or upgrade the C libraries you shouldn't have to reboot the computer after changing its configuration. Red Hat in particular has very comprehensive and easy to follow instructions. The problem with support in Linux is who to ask and what to ask. Commercial support for home users is as bad as it is for commercial software. However typing an error message into Google (which runs on Linux) can help you quickly find a solution if you use a popular distribution like Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat or SuSE.

2. If my wife and my mother can use Linux both chronic novices than I suspect that the major difficulty is changing from an environment that one is accustomed to. Linux is infact easier for my wife to use because all of her desktop menus are in Indonesian.

3. The applications to do most of what most people do are there and usually they are included in a single packaged distribution so there is greater uniformity add, configuring, upgrading and using applications in popular Linux versions like Debian, Mandrake Red Hat and SuSE.

4. There are attacks that target Linux but they are less common than Windows attacks because of the small user base, probably on the order of Mac users. Since the opearting system and its many variants are developed by a large community an exploit would not be covered up for marketing concerns, there have been exceptions. Since Linux is a multi-user OS the greatest risk an individual user faces is less likely to effect other users or the underlying system.

Archived