travel agent with no credit card fee

Anyone know a travel agency in Bangkok that does not add a surcharge for using a VISA card? I'd like to reward them with a good chunk of business; as in business class. business class fares look VERY high right now despite firesales in economy going on. Ouch.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will just hide it in the fare anyhow.

My understanding is the agent in Thailand(most) have to pay for the ticket from the wholesaler and run the sale thru their own or another major agency credit card deposit.

Like some other countries, it them becomes a question to them of how long to settle(get their money) and what percentage discount.

Nok the kook

Says NokTang:

They will just hide it in the fare anyhow.

My understanding is the agent in Thailand(most) have to pay for the ticket from the wholesaler and run the sale thru their own or another major agency credit card deposit.

Like some other countries, it them becomes a question to them of how long to settle(get their money) and what percentage discount.

Nok the kook

This is how it works in OZ.

I am in the travel industry.

If the airline will absorbe the CC charges then fine no extra fee for clients.

If not my staff are instructed to inform (this is a regulation here..up front about charges etc) the client of an admin fee of 2.5% visa ,mast card and 3% Amex dinners club.

If a package with flights accommodation transfers etc the fee in most cases the wholsaler will absorb the CC fees.

It is against the law here to sell an airfare for more than what is called the Published fare.

'So syd/bkk $1186.40 return is the fare PLUS cc fee if i have to charge trough my office i cant sell it for $1221.00 and just take the card and swipe in office.

Any confirmation letters we send out have this clearly stated so no missunderstandings with total costs.

Tha card companies take their cut from the total thats why we try to get the wholesalers or airline to take the card direct everytime.

Also with us the card if used in the office appears in my bank account next day so no delays in us getting paid.

Amex used to be 1 week but now i day .

Yes, but we were refering to Thailand agencies.

These guys who try and dispute and otherwise bitch about credit card surcharges, I wish they would just fuck off. Go get a cash advance at the ATM or Bank and just pay cash. They fuck it up for those of us willing and wanting to do legitimate business. Nothing worse than gettting a charge back from your bank(as a merchant) and having to deal with it. Time time time and of course, they take the money back while everyone talks. Much like bad checks, a few bad apples makes many folks afraid to take checks.(I don't ever use checks for these type of transactions either)

Hotels same same in Thailand. Those few who make a big deal of it ruin it for the rest of us. Small hotels hesitate to take credit cards for this reason.

ps: One travel agent in Pattaya told me that it takes 90days to get her commission if she sells a ticket and the client pays the airline with a credit card. This may also contribute to the reason they run it thru as third party and add a surcharge.

Think Thai when in Thailand, not OZ or USA. In these instances vs. bargirls/what you pay ST and LT, I do think in fact it spoils it for the remaining people.

cheers

Nok the Kook

Calm down. Isn't this a thread about someone asking if there is a travel agent that doesn't add a surcharge?

He's not asking for a free ride or is he? Have I missed something?

Remember, a surcharge on CC's is not the norm. In fact travellers are advised to inform Visa or Mastercard in these instances, as it is not allowed under their contracts.

Some of us who have travelled there often, accept it, as it is so widespread.

Paying with a CC affords you extra protection, say in a situation where your ticket is not supplied or not what you ordered.

I would be quite reluctant to do business with you, if that was your attitude.

It is a perfectly fair question.

Though I guess you wanted to vent against the few that take unfair advantage. ;)

Says NokTang:

Yes, but we were refering to Thailand agencies.

These guys who try and dispute and otherwise bitch about credit card surcharges, I wish they would just fuck off. Go get a cash advance at the ATM or Bank and just pay cash. They fuck it up for those of us willing and wanting to do legitimate business. Nothing worse than gettting a charge back from your bank(as a merchant) and having to deal with it. Time time time and of course, they take the money back while everyone talks. Much like bad checks, a few bad apples makes many folks afraid to take checks.(I don't ever use checks for these type of transactions either)

Hotels same same in Thailand. Those few who make a big deal of it ruin it for the rest of us. Small hotels hesitate to take credit cards for this reason.

ps: One travel agent in Pattaya told me that it takes 90days to get her commission if she sells a ticket and the client pays the airline with a credit card. This may also contribute to the reason they run it thru as third party and add a surcharge.

Think Thai when in Thailand, not OZ or USA. In these instances vs. bargirls/what you pay ST and LT, I do think in fact it spoils it for the remaining people.

cheers

Nok the Kook

I dont know how they survive!

Amex is a quick turnaround..90 days 3 months wow i would go broke in a month without my commissino cheques.

Why amex in Thailand so bad i dont understand i would refuse the card as payment.full stop.

Re third party how did she explaine the higher airfare they are also under IATA rules as i am she cant overcharge a published fare...lose liscence quick quick.

OK TIT i guess but i am confussed :dunno:

Hi, sorry if my other post came accross wrong. It was directed at the general public, not you individually. The "surcharges" are disclosed up front when you buy a ticket or pay for your hotel. It is not "added" later without your knowledge. You can simply pay cash if you don't want to pay the surcharge. Application as some do the VISA and AMX etc. generally accepted contract language(buried deep in small script even in english) is simply IMHO not fair. These agents in BKK/Thailand seem to me up front and nice people. Same for Hotels. Had you ever seen some of the disgusting conduct by various Farangs(male and female) towards some of the sweetest Thai girls working at a hotel reception you would perhaps catch my drift. They want to please you and give good customer service, not be lectured in the rules and contracts of VISA or AMX.

Okay, where were we?

They are not chargeing more than published fares. period. I know of no one who has paid more than he could by going directly to the airline for a published air fare. LESS in 99percent of the instances, if not 100percent.

take care yourself.

Nokiie

Credit Card surcharges do in fact seem the norm in third world countries. I don't know if Thailand is "third" world, but I do know when you get in to discounted air tickets even here in the USA sometimes credit card surcharges are announced at the moment of payment or up front if you inquire.

I give as example:

Angel Travel in Chicago.(www.angeltravel) I bought a one way Manila to Bangkok as this agent has connections with Thai Air agent somewhere. No problem for me, I paid the surcharge as I wanted as you infer, some guaranty in case problem with the ticket.

Northwest consoldator, somewhere outside of Washington DC, Alexendria I believe. Bought ticket a few years ago to Amsterdam at great price. Had surcharge. (bulk ticket)

example 2: I was in a Bangkok hotel just six months ago. Some Aussie fuck was giving this girl shit about it at my hotel. I knew the girl, for several years, sweet as apple pie. She was close to tears. I grabbed my camera and flashed a photo of the fucker.

( He had threatened the girl with her job if she charged him the surcharge. )

I told him in a very gracious way if anything happened to her, anything at all, his photo was going to the police and on the internet. He demanded the camera, I told him to take it. I'm not a tough guy, just armed and have money. Nothing came of it, I asked her (after she stopped crying) to call me collect in Pattaya if need some support. I would speak with the manager of the hotel if she needed/wanted me to as I witnessed the entire thing.

cheers!

Nok

Archived