travel agent with no credit card fee

Looking for a ticket Bkk - Lon for a friend, I was quoted between 30,300 and 30,500 baht plus a 3% CC charge, while in Bkk.

In Pattaya, next to the Universe gym, I was quoted 31,300.(He was not interested in negotiation)

Walking down Soi 2 in Pattaya, I happened upon TIC Travel who quoted 29,200. Guess who got the business?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cash was paid. Also, the ticket was issued by KN Travel in Pattaya.

So, I wonder how she made any money at all.

Makes me wonder why the huge discrepancy in prices. If I had paid Malee Travel the 31300, that would have been 2100 baht in excess of the price at TIC Travel.

TIC TRAVEL

Mrs Pranee Poonkrathok

Tel: +66 38 410 383

Fax: +66 38 361 385

Mob: +66 1862 7353

Email: tictrave@loxinfo.co.th (Maybe be tictravel, try both combinations)

don't worry too much even as a money conscient customer I'm sure noone would sell you anything at a loss or actually without making any commision at all - unless of course your so charming she was hoping for a date a bit later on...

a different agency actually issuing the ticket on behalf doesn't mean they're loosing out either! remember the negotiated ticket price with the airline are bound to be lower than the 29200bt.

happy bucket shopping :D

chilli - fighting for our airline bahts!

ib13 - The merchant vary will vary depending upon the size of the agency. The larger one's get better rates as they have the volume behind them. Also CC company risk is potentially reduced if they feel there is minimal risk of financial failure.

Each agency will set their own CC surcharge. I think your assessment of Visa/MC being the cheapest is probably correct and its likely that the agency will round up the fee rather than rounding it down. i.e a 1.75% fee would become 2% and so on.

Cheers

Well I have found that THE sex tourist centre, the Nana hotel takes a credit card without any surcharge. Plus many other places do too. And back in Europe a credit charge surcharge can frequently be added to discounted airtickets.

I will continue to pay with a credit card where it doesn't cost me extra - just for the convenience and the deferred payment but of course they also make a profit on the currency exchange rates. By the way, so do ATMs, my bank charges 2% on cash withdrawals in other currencies than sterling.

Cash might be great until the first time you get robbed!

Archived