The Asian Work Ethic

gobbledonk

Resting on one's laurels, admiring one's own previous achievements and rueing one's fall from the top seems to have held back many peoples. China's a prime example, I'd agree. They're always going on about how civilised they were thousands of years ago but that's not relevant to now, is it? That kind of attitude simply hinders them today. The Greeks too, the Arabs, the French, the British... all previously dominant and creative, sink into a sea of sloth. Prior eminence really screws nations up, eh?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>I just feel orientals are fundamentally different to westerners.<<<

so, then what is, according to you, with children of mixed heritage? i mean, if that 'fundamental difference' would allow for offspring between so different (fundamentally...) species...

what about 'oriental' children adopted by westerners and raised in the west?

any scientific theories which can prove you 'feelings' about the 'fundamental' difference?

i mean, i have been living with an 'oriental' women for the last nine years, and i haven't seen yet much difference. so, i would appreciate some enlightenment, you know, maybe which could bring me back into the status of a proper western citizen...

Based on observations in both Malaysia and Thailand

over a lengthy period - the Chinese definitely do seem

to have the business acumen in both societies and

that's where the wealth accumulates.

On the downside, there is the "3 generations curse".

The first generation (Chinese) works all the hours under the

sun for years and years until they can get just

enough money saved to start a business.

The next generation builds on the hardwork of their forebears

and develops the business to the point where the extended

family enjoys prosperity and the children are sent to good

schools.

The third generation know only wealth and affluence and

squander all the family has accumulated on hedonistic

lifestyles.

One last comment on the Chinese - never work for the

bastards! They'll squeeze you dry!

Also the statement was not a negative slur, just facts, oriental people ( i mean Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian and Korean) are very industrious, but not in a creative way.

Without creativity Japan achieved to be economically the no. 2, China the no. 7 and S.Korea the 10 worldwide? I don't think so.

Western European countries are pretty much solely responsible for recent developments, yes I know the Chinese invented gun powder. It seems that they have been resting on their laurals since that success!

The Chinese were resting on their laurals for a very long time, that's true, but now they are making up for lost terrain in a 'hyperspeed' way.

The Chinese prefer it this way, working as a group with a pack mentality similar to a bee hive!

It's more the Japanese who like working in groups, the Chinese prefer to work within/for their family/clan and also as individuals.

In the west individualism and creativity is positively fostered within the education system, look to a chinese school and the reverse is the case.

During the last 3-5 years Chinas education system has gone through 'revolutionary' changes. Individualism (not in politics) is now taught at high schools and universities. Furthermore they send every year several ten thousand students to the US and Canada.

oriental people ( i mean Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian and Korean) are very industrious, but not in a creative way.

Many years ago yes, but not now. What's the design/make of your car, TV, video, fridge, etc, etc, etc. ?

As for creativity, I'm yet to find a soapie or street stall in the West that matches anything in Thailand. :neener:

Hi,

By fundamentally I mean their society is fundamentally different, not biologically. I subscribe to the school of thought which says we are a product of our environment.

A mixed race child will reflect the dominant culture in which it is raised. IE a mixed race child brought up in Thailand will be more Thai than western, conversely one brought up in Baden Baden will be more western.

I have no scientific evidence that oriental societies arwe fundamentally different, only my own intelligent observations.

You don't think western and oriental socieities are the same do you?

STH

Archived