bkkgeorge

It's about this Tuesday's (29th) Londoner quiz and I am expecting to see

Racha

PhiketPete

ItsMeDave

Pom Michael

Liverpool Jim

BkkGeorge

Confirmations, cancellations, pre-quiz drinking venue suggestions and other useful information refering to the quiz are welcome.

BkkGeorge

Yes, things have changed a bit (I blame Long Gun's departure...and, hey buddy...isn't it about time for a visit home)

What has happened is a dissolve in team togetherness. Now, we have 5 quizzes a month but Jim and I are the only ones who attend (other than the Londoner) This means we have had to find new guys to play with since even our mighty brain power probably wouldn't win if we were alone. (and Jim and I are certainly the most competitive...we want to win) Our new team with guys not on the board wins every week at the Dubliner, and more often than not at Woodstock and the Bull's Head.

The trouble comes at Londoner time when the old guard show up. Now we are too large for one team and too small for two. Last night we had nine guys with the team max at 6. Playing at 5 and 4 per team we started out at a disadvantage which is nearly impossible to overcome with 20 teams playing at full strength.

My team was me with the newer guys (NPF2) and NPF1 with Jim, George, Pete, Racha. They kept trying to get me to come over (which I couldn't because we couldn't have teams of 6 & 3...and I wasn't going to abandon what have become my regular teammates) while I kept trying to get Jim to come over (so that we could have a chance to win and keep up in the year long scoring contest. He didn't move, and I didn't move, and we both lost. My NPF2 team finished in 5th (not bad for 4 guys, I suppose) while the NPF1 team was somewhere around 14th. My apologies to the original NPF team. I miss playing with you and joking around, sharing the night with you guys. Hope to see you more often. We'll be at the Dubliner next Tuesday.

Some sample questions:

What was the name of the character that Dick Van DYke played in the Dick Van Dyke show?

Where did Apricot trees originally come from?

What was the title of Fiona Apple's first album?

What year was the Apollo 13 mission?

Who recorded Houses of the Holy?

Who succeeded Chuan as leader of Thailand's Democratic Party?

Who lost to Pat Cash and Boris Becker in the Wimbelden finals?

Name Disney's chipmunks?

How old was Mozart when he died?

What was considered such a luxury that those who used it were taxed in England until the late 1800's?

Before 1981, what was the regulation size (in inches or centimeters) of a tennis racquet?

Which Canadian won the Masters golf tourney?

What year did the Iraqui food for oil program commence?

In Literature, who was Becky Thatcher's boyfriend?

What cameraman from Woodstock went on to direct the Band in, "The Last Waltz"?

And, as best I can remember, the common denominator question:

The 1977 hit tv-movie miniseries by Alex Haley?

A reward of victory or winning a contest?

An opening inside a mass?

What is put inside a pastry?

Answer the last four questions and then find their common link.

Dave, I am not so sure if everyone in last nights NPF1 team will agree with your viewpoints about who's playing in what team and why.

I just want to add two more facts for the record:

1. The fifth man in the NPF1 team was the long missed FrogPatrol whose appearance was a pleasant surprise - at least for me. Hope to see him more often at some of the quizzes.

2. Pom Michael was also there and would have been the sixth man in the NPF1 team. But assuming the NPF1 team had already 6 players (Jim, Racha, Pete, Froggy, DAVE, George) present he left. Misunderstandings, misunderstandings...

Cheers,

BkkGeorge

George,

Yes it was a shame that Pom Michael left. He seems to have a tendancy of showing up but not staying once the game begins. Nice to give up his seat, but almost never necessary as we would rather take the penalty to play together if we have 7. He actually had already left before I arrived. When I did the five of you were already seated at the first table and I was told to sit at the other (open) table in case others showed up. When 3 of them did, I stayed with those three.

Certainly it must be said that we have room for more teammates. Anybody who reads this board is invited to join us. Don't worry too much about your skill level. It's a good night out, and it would be so nice to field 2 full teams again. Quizzes are the 1st and 3rd Tuesday at the Dubliner (soi 22), 2nd Tuesday at the Bulls Head (soi 33/1), last Tuesday at the Londoner (soi 33), and 2nd Wednesday at Woodstock (NEP).

Rodney Bain announced a special quiz in June the second Tuesday which would be all sports and entertainment. Those of you who know me can be sure I'm already primed for that one! Hope to see you there.

Sorry I forgot to mention you, Frog Patrol, I'm a bit under the weather.

No worries, Dave.

It was nice to be back, though I must admit I probably didn't contribute too much on this night, either due to intoxication or stupidity. Anyhow, it was a super night out - I particularly enjoyed the chance to catch up with George, who I had not seen in quite sometime.

Aside from that, some things do not change: Jim provided his usual several dozen answers, Pete and I had a our typical rousing row, this time over international football friendlies, and Racha was there at nana until the final hour, ending up at Rosemary, of all places. Soi 33 is now officially named Soi Racha, a term coined by Bangkok George.

Now that I am back in Thailand, I will do my best to make it to more quizzes when not conflicting w/ work. Sports and entertainment, like for many of us, would be my two "best" areas.

Lastly, as to Pom Michael - cannot argue with success - 49 consecutive days at the gym and the man is shredding kilos.

froggo

Archived