'Diary of a Punter'

gobbledonk

I've raised this in passing in the course of a couple of posts, but is anyone out there working on an update to 'Hello My Big, Big Honey' or similar ? Most of the books I've seen are pretty dated, or fiction built around the nightlife scene in Thailand.

Does anyone else think there is any value in this ? Interviews with the girls, the mamasans, the punters : none of this would be easy, but surely thats what turns investigative journalists on ? Is it just too 'old' a story to be of interest to anyone other than (possibly) members of this board ?

Finding a writer with the right combination of objectivity (no easy task) and local knowledge would be a tough nut, but finding an audience for the result may be just as tough. Most publishers are going to market it as a 'how-to' for the 'sex tourist', regardless of what ends up between the covers.

The more I think about it, the easier it becomes to see why no-one has taken it on.

Hey Artiew,

About a month ago I was purusing a Phuket-info.com message board, a few people had commented about the book (dam it I forgot) you know guy falls in love with BG, he tries to get her out of the scene, she can never understand his anger, he ends up being killed by her older sisters hired killer DAM these memory lapses! Anyway apparently the author was also reading the message board and the comments about his book from new readers, the book is at least ten years or more old. He asked if he should update it? All in all he decided to keep it as it was, the story transcends time and is a good read to include a valuable teaching tool to all who decide to take that fork in the road towards a relationship with a BG in Thailand.

Thanks, iono - again, this sounds more like the 'fiction' I mentioned. Or perhaps 'faction' ? I rarely enjoy a book in which the main protagonist dies : those sorts of things work better in movies, IMO.

Getting back to the 'real-world' book, I suspect that its simply ground that has been pretty well gone over journalistically, and the Bangkok Post probably has enough file material to write it without leaving their offices. Wouldnt have much from the Farang perspective, but it may have more from the girls' side of the equation.

Archived