Questions and answers

Pharcyde

ÃÂÒ¡ is pronounced with a low tone

remember it has a dead syllable, long vowel and is a mid class (due to the Ã)

mai ayk è with a low class consonent creates a falling tone and with high and mid class consonents creates a low tone, mai ayk never creates a high tone (unless used with Ë and an initial low class)

It does make sense if you think about it, if it was being changed into a high class consonent then Ë could be used.

You are correct that the tones produced are the same as if they were changed into a high class consonent (as the rules are the same)

The other 3 words need mai ek to take it to a low tone from the mid (common) tone. But ÃÂÒ¡ 'yahk' doesn't need mai ek to give it its low tone because of it's final consonant. Any high or mid class consonant with a 'p', 't' or 'k' sounding final consonant (and no tone mark) is immediately recognised as a low tone word.

Also words ending with a 'p', 'k' or 't' sounding consonant effect the tone of low class consonants (let's not confuse the classes -ie. low, mid, high -with tones..has nothing to do with tone..). So, if a word with a low class initial consonant has a 'p', 'k' or 't' sounding final consonant (and again no tone mark) then the tone is falling.. e.g. ÃÒ¡ 'mak', or ¾Ù´ 'poot' ... Oh but there is one exception to this rule for words starting with a low class consonant. If the vowel sound is short, eg. ÃÑ¡ 'rak' or ¤Ô´ 'kit'.. then the high tone is taken..

Anybody confused yet? :p

Says samak:

don't you have thai teachers in richmond?

:: Richmond = 75 miles east. I'm in Charlottesville. How do you know Richmond? I think the big Thai community around here is about 2 hours north, in DC. I'm working on getting a Thai student from Uni of Virginia - no, just for language help, I swear! :angel:

DB, Markle, Samak- thanks for the help. I'll just go shoot myself now! :help: ::

Archived