Why are hard drives so expensive here?

I'm checking out the prices of laptop hard drives at Pantip and find they are at least 50% higher than the best prices in the US, which you can find at www.pricewatch.com.

The 30 GB laptop hard drive I need that can be had for $90 (including shipping) in the US is here about 6000 baht or higher, which is about US $142.

Most of the drives I'm seeing here are MADE IN THAILAND, so high import duties cannot be the reason. What's the reason for this great price disparity? Is VAT being added, that can later be refunded when one leaves Thailand? Or is it something else?

Especially now with the cheap software gone, it's hard to see how Pantip Plaza deserves its cheap reputation.

Desk top harddrives are not that much more expensive. I have been holding off with my laptop harddrive. Laptos have only become big one year ago and there is not a market yet to drive the prices down like the desktop market. The price you quoted are very cheap compared to 6 months ago. I wanted a 20G for 7500 back then. DVD players were 3x the price of Canada last year , but have caught on a little bit and the prices have come down to about 50% more than home. laptops will to!

Yes, the premium over US prices is much less with the desktop HDs. Actually, I looked closer and did see 30GB laptop drives for as little as 5500, but that is still very high compared to the US. THen I saw one that was 5300 with a one year warranty. Then I found a place that would sell a 30 GB laptop HD for 4500 with NO warranty. I'm wondering about that last one. Does anyone think there might be something shady about selling one without a warranty? I mean, is the HD maybe a reconditioned one or defective or something? I might buy it if the guy would agree to a one week warranty, under the assumption that serious problems would be more likely to show up right away.

Incidentally, are these warranties enforceable when you leave Thailand?

I'm also thinking about getting a desktop 80 GB HD with an external USB box.

Archived