Service Apartments v Hotels - value for money

I think that not many of of visitors to LOS are aware of the great value that is offered by staying short-term in a Serviced Apartments complexes. In the past 3-4 years, since the econnomic down-turn, the city is saturated with such and competiton is fierce. While 4-5 stars hotels are maintaining relatively expensive prices and quote in USD, some of the best serviced apartments in town are offering great deals, suitable even for budget travellers !! For years I accommodate corporate guests, customers and friends in such places and they do not want to hear again about the Hiltons, Sheratins or Marriots of the world.

The 2 which I use frequently are Center-Point on Suk soi 10 and Lake-Point on Suk soi 16. You get a 1 bed-room luxuriousely decorated Suite, equipped with anything you think of i.e. Microwave, Stereo CD, VDO, VCD etc' for 1,500 Baht (34$)a night net inclusive of American breakfast and one complimentary airport transfer !! You have all the normal facilities as in a big hotel (room service, Laundry etc') but much bigger and more private space. The 2 bed-room suites are at around 2,500 Baht/night (56$) and are even better value if u travel with a mate.

And most important: No fuss or charges if u bring over-night guests !!

I saw in one of the other threads that some regard deals of 120$ per night (over 5000) at places like the Marriot as a good deal. Might be true when you compare to other Marriots around the world. But if you stay in town for a week you can get the same or better value and yet save almost 25,000 Baht on accommodation.

And you know where would you rather spend it....

IMO the best deal in town, by far...

Comments / opinions / experiences are welcome.

peejoe

The serviced apartments vs. hotel issue is really a shell game. I know the owner of several of these and when the hotel market is down, they advertise the places as 'serviced apartments.' When the hotel business is booming, it goes the other way.

That is not to say that they aren't a good value. Try: President Park Properties for example. Excellent accomodations at maybe 50% more than the budget hotels. Still very cheap by western standards and way less than a stay at JW Marriott.

Normally you pay the price in them being slightly out of the way. Translate into take a taxi home with the bg of your choice.

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

The serviced apartments vs. hotel issue is really a shell game. I know the owner of several of these and when the hotel market is down, they advertise the places as 'serviced apartments.' When the hotel business is booming, it goes the other way.

That is not to say that they aren't a good value. Try:
for example. Excellent accomodations at maybe 50% more than the budget hotels. Still very cheap by western standards and way less than a stay at JW Marriott.

Normally you pay the price in them being slightly out of the way. Translate into take a taxi home with the bg of your choice.

The places I mentioned are always advertising as service apartments. cant say about the other. Soi 10 and Soi 16 are anything but "out of the way"....walking distance to Cowboy, NEP, CEP and soi 33 as well as to other popular pubs, eateries and shopping areas. I m not on a mission to promote the places and i m sure there are many others as such, which offer good value for money and are located in places which are comfortable for Business travellers, families as well as lads on a piss-up week...

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock That is not to say that they aren't a good value.

It might make ecconomic sense to stay in an apartment,but to compare them against hotels is not comparing like with like. There are no seviced apartments which I have seen that have the same services and facilities a place like the marriot or Landmark can offer.

If it's money saving that is most important why not stay in a short time hotel? some of these are excellent value at 600 baht. They give you a clean sheet and comb every day and there is the advantage of 24 hour dirty movies. -peter

Try:
for example. Excellent accomodations at maybe 50% more than the budget hotels. Still very cheap by western standards and way less than a stay at JW Marriott.

.[/QB]

quote:

Originally posted by Peter G:

Originally posted by Lamock That is not to say that they aren't a good value.

It might make ecconomic sense to stay in an apartment,but to compare them against hotels is not comparing like with like. There are no seviced apartments which I have seen that have the same services and facilities a place like the marriot or Landmark can offer.

Peter,

They maybe officially called Sevice Apartments or Executive Service Apartments (and that maybe due to some local law regarding ownership / operations or other).

However, except the internationally known name, they operate and look like 5 stars hotels. Daily maid service, Room Service, Laundry, Swimming pool, gym, squash courts (in some) and all other stuff u associate with 5 stars hotels.

Try one maybe on your next trip.

cheers

[/QB]

I would have to give my agreement to the "serviced apartments " being GREAT deal/just as nice as JW Marriot..At least the President Park..After paying 150 + for suite at JW on 2 separate visits,finally got smart and tried Pres Park...its little ways away from NaNA,50 baht cab ride,but is well worth it..Nice ,big room-- Tulip Suite--- BIG bathroom,2 tvs,maid everyday,VERY large well equiped exercise facility....and only $60-65 nite with TSM discount....I will try Grand President next visit...Hopefully will be same quality of room and can walk to NANA easily....BillyB

Archived