Renting a condo

Lusty

How long is a piece of string?

The costs can vary between 4,000 baht to 40,000 baht depending on what you call "half decent", I assume you're looking to the cheaper end of the market so 10,000 should get you a good place. Check out the classifieds at www.pattayamail.com for an idea although these are mostly from realtors who take 20% commission.

Rusty,

Location is important in Pattaya. Maybe not as much as Bangkok but you will still want the correct balance of proximity to the areas you want balanced against actually being able to sleep on a night if you choose to.

When you have a potential building in mind go inside and enquire if they have condos for rent. I've yet to find one that doesn't. Some of the condo will be owned by the people who own the block and some may be privately owned.

Be sure to check out the condo and find the one that best suits your needs.

I would also advocate an initial short rent. Yes, the rentor will want you to sign up for 3,6 or even 12 months but ask for 1 month to begin with.

It would be terrible to tie yourself to 6 months of for example terrible noise on a night (if that bothers you)

Also negotiate on the price but for a reasonable 1 bed appt I would estimate between 8,000 and 14,000 depending on the quality of the room and fittings etc.

I know a guy who rents a decent studio in a large South Pattaya block for 6,000 a month and the furniture is fairly basic. I have also seen a 14,000 1 bed and it was plush.

Good luck!

Archived