Pavement ......

vinod

Just read in today Bangkokpost......

Pavement defined

I was wondering if any of your readers could give me the Thai definition of a pavement?

Let me give you the English definition: A pavement is a level, unobstructed, slightly-raised pedestrian walking area usually running along both sides of a road whose purpose is to keep pedestrians separate and safe from motorised vehicles.

Now let me have a stab at the Thai definition. As I understand it, in Thailand a pavement is a place to build an obstacle course or a cafe, restaurant, shop or a shanty town. A pavement is a place to build a garden, to park or drive a car or truck; to park or ride a motorbike or moped. A pavement is a place to dump building materials and garbage; a place to sell the dismal, barbecued remnants of dead animals. But above all, a pavement is strictly a no-go area for pedestrians.

I wonder, have I got this about right? Johnny Foreigner

cheers

vinod

you have just given the reasons why having a walk in most western countries is an incredibly boring, uneventful and predictable affair while here in the east street life is still interesting as soon as you leave your house.

Very true.

what about the water hydrants for fires about 8 or 10 inches above the ground.

Most are painted red but the ones down from Amari watergate are dark grey looking in daylight.

But at 2 in the morning walking along the pavement they make an instant impact on your shins ::

Hi!

You should have a walk in my part of Stockholm after a football derby. I doubt if you would be bored. :grinyes:

regards

ALHOLk

P.S. I live close to the street with the 2:nd highest density of bars and pubs in Europe. The best street is supposed to be in Brusells.

....also a place to find yummy street food, freelancers, off duty bar girls, ad hoc bars and all other sorts of entertainment not generally available in the west!

Cheers

Jaga

The poor students have both Brits and Yanks as teachers. Looks really wierd when they mix up UK and US spellings, terms etc. Getting so I hardly know the difference myself anymore. I call a "sidewalk" the pavement. I suppose sidewalk came about on the frontier in towns with wooden walks to keep you out of the mud.

Archived