Advice for helping uni student with english

Through a friend of a family, I have been asked to interact with a university student who wishes to get an advanced degree in Australia. She has studied English, but her spoken English is not good enough because she never practices it. The family hopes by spending time several times each week talking with a native speaker her English will improve. I have no teaching experience and speak some Thai. Any suggestions on how to be effective? Even though I think she would be better off going to a class somewhere, I want to help the family as they wish.

She has studied English, but her spoken English is not good enough because she never practices it.

That's the key, she must practise her English by reading and communicating (understanding) with you.

I have a few Thai friends would want to improve their communicating skills as well and I find it very helpful to use English newspapers (difficult, but have nice articles) or all sorts of English magazines (generally easier than newspapers).

Have her read some articles, ask her about it, discuss etc etc.

The only thing you should do is to find articles of her interest as she could get bored very easily if you don't.

I hope you don't mind receiving info from a non-native speaker with no teaching degrees as well. I do have 2 years of teaching experience.

Goodluck!

Do yourself and the student a favour and dispense with speaking Thai at the onset.

I would also steer clear of involved discussions about grammar. Point out mistakes but refrain from explaining why, just offer a better usage.

The point is that a person can learn something off anybody, teacher or not, but actual teaching does require some training so that you don't make mistakes.

Like to back up the other folks. You don't need to be a "teacher". Don't even worry about know grammar. She probably knows more about it than you do (I know my students do. They know the terminology and rules, but just don't know how to use them, lol).

What she does need is exactly what her family wants: practice.

I disagree with Markle a little about pointing out grammar mistakes. For simple common mistakes correct with an explanation.

Assuming you spend an hour or so with her, spend 5 minutes on pronunciation. This is pretty boring but I've found it helps my students. 40 words separated into ten 4-word groups. Each group has the same sound (vowel or consonant). For example: black, track, cat, mat. (course, that is if she needs help with pronunciation)

Vocabulary building: Don't have her memorize long lists of words, but have her keep a notebook. Each week have her write 5-7 words. Use the words when you see her. Repitition over time is the key towards retention.

<<burp>>

Archived