§ , Syntax , Tones!!! I?m Dying Here!!!

gawguy

Speaking of reading more...

I wonder what I can read that would lead me gradually into being able to read newspapers. I looked at those silly little 5 - 10 baht "comic" books, but the handwritten script adds an additional problem that I don't need.

I do work on reading. Obviously all fluent reading is based on "sight recognition", not "figuring out." In English there are basic word lists and reading primers that focus on those lists. Is there the same in Thai?

GG

I think one of the books by Ms Becker (Thai for Advanced Learners?) has articles to read.

You might want to try school text books for Thai language, they have low level articles you could cut your teeth on. They're usually found at school stationary shops run by Kurusapa(there is one next to Ekkamai Bus Station)

Hi Gawguy,

I was taught close to 6 years ago by my Thai teacher in Australia to read the Govt. school Thai reading text books from grade 1 to grade 2..not very riveting reading, but definately a good foundation to start with. I slowly worked my way up from there.. and now at school (currently still studying Thai at uni here in Bangkok) I'm reading health journal articles on anti-oxcidents, free-radicals and other assorted science and biology stuff. As well as nature, wildlife and travel reports from newspapers etc etc.. It's quite daunting at times.. :: But reading, although somewhat different from conversational Thai (certain words in texts only have literary functions), will give you an excellent understanding of how the language is structured and increase your vocabulary. And it's very easy to chat up the girls in the chat rooms :D

Anyway, these Maani books are a good start. Very easy from the first book.. all the common easy words to start with such as ÃÃ’ µÒ ¾Ò ÃÕ etc.. I've since discovered they've been put online now.. with the pics and additional sound files too.. They go from lesson 1 to 40 on this site.. 40 is about what kids get up to in grade 3..(9 years old).

You can find here: "Thai Maani Readers".

One thing is, this site uses a special Thai font that my comp won't read, but they have a downloadable font file for it in there somewhere..

Have fun..

FF

Oh yeah, it helps if they?re from Issan, cause that seems to be my linguistic center. (That?s another problem!)

This also happened to me when I got to quite a good level of fluency, all my Thai friends said I spoke like someone from Isaan, and I had only ever been taught Thai by people speaking central Thai. Anyway one of my friends was kind enough to explain that at that time I was sloppy using the tones and making the distinction between long and short vowel sounds.

To rectify this I put a lot of effort into saying the tone correctly and trying to slow my speech down so that I can articulate the sounds clearly (and hopefully correctly)

Thank you all again!!

Hal...it's good to know someone faced this problem and worked on it.

Friendly...I will log on to that site when I get back home.

Thanks,

The overloaded and unfortunately kinda lazy,

Gaw Guy

Archived