Daylight Robbery??? - Business Inn Bangkok

Hamokhamok

I would like to relate an incident which I had with Business Inn in Bangkok. Firstly may I say that I suppose what happened to me is mainly my fault but never the less maybe people will learn a lesson from my mistake. To cut a long story short - when I was checking in last Monday week I was asked for my passport which is not unusual. I had two days earlier put a 500 Baht note in with the visa so that I would have it for the departure tax at the airport. I handed my passport over to the lady at the counter who in turn handed it to one of the male people behind the counter to photocopy the 'photo' page and the visa. Immediately after handing the passport to the lady I remembered about the 500 Baht note but decided that it would be ok. Anyway when I got the passport back I looked for the 500 but, you have guessed, it was no longer to be seen. I asked about it but I only got blank expressions and suggestions that maybe I hadn't put it in the passport in the first place. I was definite that I had. I asked to see the Manager but was told that the Manager was busy. I said that I had all the time in the world. The Manager then appeared, listened to my story and proceeded to search the male. I was invited to look at the photocopier to find it but of course to no avail. I repeat it was my mistake I suppose but I was very annoyed that it happened. I stayed that night but checked out the following morning. I didn't get the 500 Baht back either.

Interestingly enough they did me a favour as I went down a few doors and booked into the Bangkok Inn which turned out to be far cleaner, better rooms, totally guest friendly, bigger bed and I had much more fun in it.

Hi, sorry to hear about your bad experience in the business inn. Although I have had rather good experience with the hotel, I won't stay there anymore due to the fact that during two nights I had some visitiors.....yep right...cockroach's ...and I reallly hate the fucking bastards...

So, maybe the bangkok inn in the same soi is a good alternative....could you tell us some more about the hotel..?? price ? guest policy ? Does the airco works well ?? eg..not make a lot of noice ??

thanks in advance,

mischa.

I wrote a few words a few days ago under Bangkok Inn in this forum Accommodation. Yes it is guest friendly. They take the ID until the guest leaves. They will call you when the guest leaves to make sure that everything is OK. I found it a clean hotel. AC was ok not that noisy - not as bad as the Business Inn. I opted to stay in a room at the back which resulted in me having a windows to look out through but as of now the windows is boarded up on the outside. All the windows at the back are done the same way. I believe the back of the hotel looks out Soi 13 and all buildings facing Soi 13 are similarily boarded up. I suspect that a building job is about to start. The staff are very friendly. Big rooms and shower/toilet arrangement. E-mail me direct if you need any further information.

quote:

Originally posted by Hamokhamok:

...I had two days earlier put a 500 Baht note in with the visa so that I would have it for the departure tax at the airport...

Quite sorry to hear you were relieved of your funds in this way, but I commend your foresight. I always fold a 500 over my departure card as well. On several occasions, I've been asked for my ID by the boys-in-brown over nothing much, handed over my "loaded" passport and had it come back "unloaded". Everyone smiles and we go about our business. And if you run into the one honest cop, well, it's your departure tax money, after all.

2YL

for us 500Bht is not so much, for someone probably not making much, it is big temptation.

I don't think it is a good idea to tempt someone ( maybe their price of honesty)

Like waving a steak in front of a dog, what do you think is going to happen.

but cheep lesson for only 500 bht.

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

for us 500Bht is not so much, for someone probably not making much, it is big temptation.

I don't think it is a good idea to tempt someone ( maybe their price of honesty)

Like waving a steak in front of a dog, what do you think is going to happen.

but cheep lesson for only 500 bht.

Everything you've said still doen't make theivery acceptable. Of course, I'll agree that if

you wave a steak

in front of a dog he'd probably snap it up

and run away. I would expect a person working at a hotel to have a lot more self control be able to resist the temptation of thievery when it could very well mean a discussion with the police and possibly the loss of a job, even if they did think that 500 B was a substancial sum.

And, so, what is the lesson? Don't trust anyone in Thailand because they'll probably steal with impunity if given half a chance? Can't say that I disagree, if that is what you meant, but I really do wish I could.

As far as what would I think is going to happen? Well, I guess you're right, but I certainly wouldn't expect to be robbed by the hotel desk staff right there at the front desk. Working in a hotel, of all places, don't you think that the staff should be expected to resist temptation?

I think it's disgraceful.

All-

Since I am in BKK usually 2 or 3 times a month I have a solution for the departure tax problem... Everytime when I arrive I make a quick run upstairs to the departure level and then BUY my deaprture tax receipt. They don't have an expiration date. It's perfectly fine to buy one (or more) in advance if you want/need.

This way I have everything I need to leave.. No need to worry about having a B500 "reserve" at the airport...

Only an idea.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

MrLucky:

I probably do sound a little paranoid.

But for a thai working in a low paying job

500bht is quite a lot.

You know the old saying "don't tempt an honest person" Kind of like the flimsy locks on travel cases, they keep the honest ppl out.

Upser: good idea, plan ahead is always good.

but once I "feel" the atmosphere getting off the plane, I kind of get a one track mind set. ( get through the airport asap)

BTW: how late do they sell the dept coupons?

My next trip I am on NW, get in just b4 midnight ( ugh!)

upser:

when will you be in bkk next?

( 3 times a month and live to tell of it, lucky guy) smile.gif" border="0

Archived