Beckham on the move

greg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiery Jack, I was in Japan for a time a few years back. Interesting experience, and I'll leave it at that. Also, several years ago I applied for a job in California with a Japanese company. Despite my being told I on the phone that I was the only candidate with (although limited, conversational only) knowledge of Japanese I was not asked back after my face to face interview. I knew it was a 50/50 chance I'd get it, as I understood the culture. The money was good though so I took a shot. In hindsight I would not have been happy in that environment anyway.

Anyway, this is a thread about Becks. Owen and Becks are big in Asia, their 'hollywood' good looks is the main reason.

I've mentioned this before in a thread but will repeat here.

Real Madrid is the worlds most successful club in terms of trophies and championships. However, Man Utd is the most loved, followed and garner the lions share of merchandising world wide. Its the last plateau for Real Madrid. The only thing they lack is Man Utd's popularity globally and what better way to do it than get their main drawing card?

Even in South America, Man Utd has a following, Real Madrid is huge of course but every football fan down there knows Man Utd.

If Beckham's PR people were smart they would have had him do more with the promotion of 'Bend It Like Beckham' which has garnered a 'buzz' in the movie going public here in the states. The MTV awards & other things should have happened before this year.

It will be interesting to see how many Real Madrid - Beckham shirts will sell in Asia now. If Real Madrid is smart they would make sure the games are shown as easily as the english league games.

I think its short sighted to think you can buy Beckham and expect to replace Man.U. following around with Real Madrid. The Premiership has an unique following because of a long time exposure to the TV channels. Somehow La Liga is not going to replace that in a long time. We are talking La Liga vs. prem here - not Man.U. vs Real Madrid or Beckham vs. Prem.

The Spanish league is better, has been that a long time and is still behind in Asia and places where Spanish is not spoken. Posh Spice is a pop star on the way down. Beckham might wake up soon and find that he is also - stars live short.

Remember Steve McManaman? Won champs league with Real, still more pop while with L'pool. Can Beckham change this weird syndrome? I don't think so.

Cheers!

Check_Bin, Macca never had the following Becks or Owen does but I do agree that buying Becks won't change years of Asians following the Prem. league for one thing, there is an ongoing expat Brit community in a lot of the Asian countries, as well as years of Brit presense in places like Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. also socially its 'in' to be into things that expat Brits and Americans are into, football for one, basketball another example.

I haven't seen a BG wear any football shirt other than a Prem. league shirt, not even Bundesliga, where you have a fair amount of Germans that frequent Pattaya and Bangkok and at least some of the games shown in the kingdom.

The spanish have no such following in Asia. If its going to happen it will take time...lots of time and effort. It would be easier to conquer the U.S. market and solidify South America.

Archived