Beckham gets OBE

check_bin_krap

I just read that David Beckham has got an OBE. I have nothing against him at all. But I fail to see why he gets this at all. What has he achieved with England? Nada when it comes to honours. His disiplinary record is nothing to be proud of either.

What makes him so special to get this award instead of for example David Seaman? Or other England players in the Man.U. team?

Its all down to pop star image and publicity...

Cheers!

Wenger and Houllier got one also. I read that someone thought it was a political move to ease Anglo/Franco relations (or lack of) over the whole Iraqi thing.

Far be it for me to tell the English who they can or can not recognise but from an outsiders view, it seems like its a popularity thing. I'm not one to back Beckham but compared to who have gotten it in the past and the fact that he is globally recognised figure and in some sense added to Britains popularity globally then, in a stretch, I can see him getting it. No offense but as an American I could care less as others could care less who we give the Congressional Medal of Freedom to.

"Wenger and Houllier got one also. I read that someone thought it was a political move to ease Anglo/Franco relations (or lack of) over the whole Iraqi thing. "

I think Wenger and Houllier got honorary OBE's, as the proper thing can only be given to Brits.

Cheers!

These now devalued awards IMHO should only be given to those who have chosen public or voluntary service above more lucrative employment. I don't think that fucking footballers or pop stars qualify.

They might give people 'pleasure' but then so does wanking and Tony Blair hasn't given my knob a Knighthood.

Says carew66:

They might give people 'pleasure' but then so does wanking and Tony Blair hasn't given my knob a Knighthood.

That's interesting :). I used to rob parking meters with a big bloke whose knob had been knighted, or so he claimed ;). "Sir Cum-Sized", I think he called it. :up:

Sorry. Not much on at work right now :rolleyes:.

jack :help:

Says check_bin_krap:

What makes him so special to get this award instead of for example David Seaman?

Easy...

Becks is nice-looking with lovely seasonal hairstyles. He scores against Argentina in the World Cup. His nickname's a brand of beer. And he married a "posh" woman. :applause:

Spunky's got a policeman's 'tashe and that daft ponytail. He lets in soft goals in the World Cup. His nickname's rude. And he married a coloured woman. :o

jack :drunk:

Archived