What if divorce? Is it a worry for married guys

voodoo31

Are guys on this board who are married or thinking about getting married to Thai girls worried about the consequences of divorce? From what I read any property owned goes to the girl and in general the law will favour the Thai nationals in disputes over mutually owned possessions.

Just wondering if this was something you guys thought about or still think about. Is it the case that divorce for genuine Thai girls is so unusual as to not be a problem? Was wondering about a situation where a married couple bought property etc with the farangs money and years later got divorced and he got nothing.

Most of the horror stories take place before the divorce. Farang goes away for a few days, for a visa run or so and when he gets back, finds out that the house is sold (usually way below the actual market value due to the fact that the girl wants to sell it fast) and all bank accounts are cleaned out and wifey is nowhere to be found. Usually it's the guy who wants a divorce then!

Cheers,

soongmak

Not really.. I think if there is a family there would be little chance of something too bad happening.

I hear horrow stories similar to the ones mentioned above but most of these guys only knew the girl a few months before getting married.. I have little sympathy if they rushed into marriage.. The guys gets what they deserve, especiallty if they are marrying a BG who has a habit of taking money and possessions from men as a part of the trade

Hi Voodoo31,

If we'd decide to divorce someday, we'd do it like 2 adults who have respected and loved eachother for (many) years.

We would never 'screw' eachother over money or properties etc.. we have simply loved eachother too much to grant eachother (mental) pain.

I've never understood couples who try to make the divorce as bloody as possible after living and loving for years. :: ::

I suppose the scenario which you describe is for couples who live in Thailand. It was never an issue with my ex and me, as we have always lived in Norway. Our divorce went well though, we never considered getting any help from lawyers.

But many Thai girls here encouraged her to do this! A lot of them know Norwegian divorce laws and stuff far better than I do.

But another thing which happens quite often here is the dudes who marry a Thai girl, bring her over and divorce her before enough time has gone for her to stay permanently. Some downright abuse and threaten the girl. And when they are tired of her? She is dumped and another one is brought over.

Nothing is one sided.. Pretty many farangs behave like shit also.

Cheers!

Archived