What if divorce? Is it a worry for married guys

voodoo31

[color:"red"] I've never understood couples who try to make the divorce as bloody as possible after living and loving for years.

[/color]

Dear Zaad,

I used to feel the same as you do now about 15 yrs. ago. What I have learnt now, though sad (maybe), but reality has taught me that money is a 2-edged sword, it cuts either way. :(

I have seen female friends pay for alimony (one is a Thai) and at this age of mine, my assets shall be protected for I am too old to start all over again, does that make sense? :dunno:

Also, what is enough for one person is not necessarily enough for another, a divorce with good assets can be very ugly indeed.

For someone who is worried about assets at the divorce time should NOT get maried period. :eek:

Cheers!

[color:"red"] Eitherway if you are so concerned get a nup or do not get married at all.

[/color]

Here in the States, pre-nuptials are not always honored due to many reasons. One main reason is that the Thai females when married could not understand the darn pre-nuptial agreements (with translation or not) and their impact. Another constant reason used is the "state-of-mind" of the females. :devil:

Cheers!

Hi,

[color:"red"] But another thing which happens quite often here is the dudes who marry a Thai girl, bring her over and divorce her before enough time has gone for her to stay permanently. Some downright abuse and threaten the girl. And when they are tired of her? She is dumped and another one is brought over.

Nothing is one sided.. Pretty many farangs behave like shit also.

[/color]

This fact has been printed in a few Thai magazines, however, I don't think many Thai women think it is a fact. Also, there are many desparate Thai women who think the grass in USA and other Western countries are greener. :banghead:

Cheers!

Nice fantasy

Call it what you want ;)

We have been through too much together to 'cut' eachother as in Jasmine's example.

It isn't a fantasy, khMarried, it's something you just don't see everyday.

Example; My mother-in-law divorced her husband 15 years ago. They STILL have dinner together once a month (2 months) with the kids to talk etc. As if nothing ever happened.

Although they're divorced, they CHOSE they keep contact and have a 'friends' relationship now. They had a clean break-up. She cried and was hurt for 2-3 years, but never wished to harm him and vice versa.

Maybe unusual, but it certainly depends on the couple only.

Guest lazyphil

<<They had a clean break-up. She cried and was hurt for 2-3 years, but never wished to harm him and vice versa>>

Zaad the mind reader :neener:

haha, it looks like it, doesn't it? :)

I talked to this woman and she told me the above. Her very own daughter (now my wife) saw her sad and hurt for 3 years long, that's not something you'll forget for the rest of your life.

I have joined dinner a few times with the 'whole group' and I saw with my own eyes the kind of relationship they have now.

Besides, would they keep contact if they'd 'screwed' eachother after the divorce?

Although I'm not a mind reader I do know what's playing in your little head there far away in farangland....could it be LOS?? :neener:

Guest lazyphil

<<Although I'm not a mind reader I do know what's in your little head there far away in farangland....could it be LOS??>>

Maybe you are afterall :o

Yes my post was regarding those couples living in Thailand. In the west I think there are laws and courts that could work out some reasonable solution if things went bad and turned nasty.

In Thailand I know that farang cannot own land or property (except condos I think). So my thought was of a couple living together in Thailand and buying a house and puitting most of there money into that purchase. After many years things go off the rails and they get divorced. Certainly if they pert on agreeable terms it may be fine but what if it becomes nasty. It appears the the farang has almost no rights to that property.

People could argue that because we love eachother so much this would never happen but Im sure every couple would say that when they are at the alter, but obviously from statistics these feelings dont always last and divorce is becoming more and more common - in the west anyway not sure of statistics in Thailand for divorce.

Regarding pre-nuptuals, I think the whole idea would be a turn of for most Thais. Even in the west where it is better known I think many people would wince at the idea as in a way it is almost preparing parties mentally for an eventual parting. As another poster said these agreements may not hold up in court anyway especially in Thailand where they may be a rarity.

Anyway good posts to my question. I think if you find the right girl then it is not a big deal but if you have some doubts then it is something to think about.

Voodoo 31 - Your comment about the house is interesting. Foreigners can technically control a thai company that owns property and land. If its really an issue, easier to get the house purchased that way, with both of you as shareholders. If u split, you can offer to buy her out of her half, but without your agreement there is nothing she can do to acquire the company that owns the land and house. So long as the company has submitted annual returns, its completely legal and I have not come across a scenario of this system being proved ineffective in a court of law.

Just to make it even easier, get a mate of yours from your home country to be another name on the shareholder list and say he lent you XX% of the money to buy the house, therefore, your joint share has to exclude his part. Quite easily done and again next to impossible to disprove.

Reminds of a comment I think Stickman made in his weekly write up actually concerning being caught out with another girl. if you admit to a fair cop, you get hell. Keep denying it and and the girl seems to lose interest in continuing to argue with you. May go on about it for ages, but if you keep denying it, what can she do :dunno:

Cheers

[color:"red"] As another poster said these agreements may not hold up in court anyway especially in Thailand where they may be a rarity.

[/color]

It is I who post about the pre-nups might not hold up in courts but not becuase they are rarity in Thailand. What I meant was, because of language barrier, translated or not. This statement is from my experiience when there was a Thai who finished only the 4th grade in Thailand and no matter what, her English was not up-to-par. The judge (US court) believed that she could not have understood the pre-nup and did not honor it. :onfire:

In Thailand, pre-nups are NOT rarity, repeat, they are not. :grinyes:

Most of my Thai females friends and some males have them because the properties/gold and other assets given to them are from their parents and they do not want them to be assets earned during the marriages it they divorce. A pre-nup can be written by a lawyer or by the partners themselves as long as the signatures of all parties are there or if the assets can be traced.

Jasmine :devil:

Archived