Best Time to Dive

LACutter

Hey Limbo & Brin15, I'm thinking of trying diving once but will not if there is anything in the water like sharks, jellyfish or anything that bites or stings (sucking is okay though ) ::

Have you considered swimming pools? :rolleyes:

No seriously. Thailand is a great place to give it a go. The water is very warm, pretty clear, and there are very few things to worry about in terms of marine life.

In most cases it is extremely rare to see a "dangerous" shark. There are two species of shark which are not considered to be dangerous at all and are actually quite sought after, whale sharks and leopard sharks. Both are very docile and feed on small shrimp not large fish or people. As a matter of fact people aren't intentionally on the menu of any sharks. Although some species are aggressive in most cases shark attacks are a result of mistaken identity.

In the entire time I taught in Thailand I only saw reef sharks (those with sharp teeth) while snorkeling very early in the morning on Koh Phi Phi. It was something a few of us did for fun. The sharks were mostly less than 1 meter long and not a concern.

One of the greatest experiences I've had diving anywhere was interaction with whale sharks. These very docile animals are the largest species of fish (keeping in mind that whales themselves are not fish). They feed by filtering plankton, krill shrimp, and very small fish and squid through their gills.

The largest can get up to 15m long.

Several times I was able to snorkel along side and gently pet them. Attention that they seemed to enjoy as they kept coming back to us. In a few instances I was able to hitch a ride. Amazing feeling to have a 10m long animal towing you along. When the shark decided play time was over it just dove. A minute or two later it would come again looking for its playmates.

Here is a good link Whale sharks in Phuket

As for jelly fish there are a few times a year when they can be a nuisance but usually are totally avoided. Just check with your instructor (as you'll probably be doing a discover scuba) before you go.

Bottom line is that you?re missing an amazing experience if you don't give it a try. :)

Now I'll return this derailed scuba thread back to it's football discussion. :doah:

Says chocolat steve:

Hey Limbo & Brin15, I'm thinking of trying diving once but will not if there is anything in the water like sharks, jellyfish or anything that bites or stings (sucking is okay though :: )

Ummmm , CS , maybe you should stick to the dry land diving... :grinyes: , remember , going down on brown will never present a frown... :hubba:

BadathedivinginstructorBing :beer:

Says chocolat steve:

Hey Limbo & Brin15, I'm thinking of trying diving once but will not if there is anything in the water like sharks, jellyfish or anything that bites or stings (sucking is okay though :: ) [/quotHI CS,

Brink summed it up pretty well.

When you make it to Samui, I'ld be more than happy to be your instructor. I know a place at Sail Rock where there is some sucker fish, just to make sure you enjoy the experience.

Really though, it should be a lot of fun. Later at night we can go to downtown Chaweng and watch Arsenal beat another EPL team. :beer:

Archived