Best Time to Dive

LACutter

Hi LACutter,

in Samui the top months are april and july/august where the chances of seeing whalesharks are best as well.

Avoid november since that's where the monsson is raging normally.

If you're interested in diving on Samui, feel free to PM me, I work in a dive shop on Samui.

Andaman sea best going towards january and in february. Dive season there is roughly from november till april/may.

On Phuket you can dive all year around it has pretty good visibility on most days due to the Andaman sea being such a clear clean huge body of water.

The worst visibility in the Phuket area is normally around late April and May as the water temp is at its highest and there is lots of plankton, jelly fish and tunicates in the water at this time as well as coral blooming.

November to March during the North East trade winds it can be blowing hard some days and especially in the mornings during late Dec and Jan, Feb to March has more days with out wind than with wind as a rule, so choosing dive sites on the southern or western sides of the islands on windy days at that time of the year is a good idea, June till October you have the South West monsoon winds blowing on some days and then it can be very rough traveling to the dive sites, once arriving on the leeward side of the island that you are diving at it will be generally ok though, If the monsoon is blowing hard for many days in a row it can bring down the visibility even on the leeward sides as well,

With visibility its worth to note a few things, if you dive out of the wind on the leeward side of the islands in the calm water it will nearly always be good visibility in the Andaman sea especially on the islands made of granite as there is less sediment stirred up than around the limestone islands, While diving on the high and low tides while the currents are moving very fast it can effect the visibility quiet a lot as well especially on the limestone islands,

Below is a general guide to Phuket area visibility,

Jan till March......15 / 20 meters to 30 + meters

April to May........10 meters to 15 / 20 + meters

June to Oct.........10 / 15 meters to 30 + meters

Racha, Sayjann, I'm in withdrawal so bad I'm starting to take the transfer rumours in The Sun seriously. :rolleyes:

Today though I am going to see Turkey v. Cameroon and Brazil v. USA at the pub. Catch up with some of the guys there.

Ka toit krup for the hijacked thread. Didn't mean to. :angel:

Hey Limbo & Brin15, I'm thinking of trying diving once but will not if there is anything in the water like sharks, jellyfish or anything that bites or stings (sucking is okay though :: )

Archived