Taxi-Meter --Prison on Wheels?

rickfarang

I noticed something really disturbing when I got out of a taxi late Saturday night, and I wonder if this is common, or at least whether its happened to others, and what, if anything can be done to correct the situation.

At about 01:00 (in the morning) I took a taxi from in front of Soi Nana to my apartment, about 100 baht away. As is my habit, I pushed the door latch down to lock the door when I got into the back seat.

Upon arriving at my apartment, I slid the latch up, but it felt strange, it slid up smoothly, like it really wasn't connected to the latching mechanism. Then I turned around and paid the driver and turned back to toward the door to exit the taxi, and "CLICK" the unmistakable sound of a solenoid unlocking the back seat door.

I am pretty sure that the door was locked during the entire trip, probably so the driver could keep me from skipping out at a traffic light without paying the meter. Very scary.

Several times, I have had to open the door, even getting out in traffic when I found myself in a taxi-meter which a driver who wouldn't turn on the meter or otherwise was trying to scam me. Having taxi-meters cruising around with overrides on the door locks not only rubs me the wrong way, but cause me to be greatly concerned about he safety of passengers (or victims) of some drivers. :onfire:

So...Is this common?

Has anyone else run across this sort of thing?

Is it legal?

What, if anything can be done about it?

RickF.

Good topic

I met a well traveled english guy on my very first trip to LOS and he sweared to always try to open the taxi door after we traveled a few blocks, he told me "if the door does not open, then we are getting robbed"......

he would also when traveling alone always sit directly behind the driver, he said he did it because it made the driver nervous as he could not see the passengers feet or hands.

Also he would never get a cab that was "sitting" he would always walk to the nearest corner and flag down a "working" one

he told me that if i ever accepted a ride from a taxi that first spoke to me or asked "where i go" that i would be breaking the # rule our mothers taught us ....."never go anywhere with a stranger"

little over the top with his thinking?.......maybe and maybe not!

Not just a little over the top, but WAY over. Thai's like to chat and I don't see it as a problem striking up a conversation with a cabbie.

I have just two rules: #1 never get in a taxi without the meter on. #2 avoid the extra charge for driver at certain MP's and restaurants by stopping a short walk away.

another reason is that taxi-drivers have to protect themselves against thives as well. lots of people who just make a runner. if he already switched on the meter there should be no problem.

Hi!

If there is an accident and the door is locked there could potential danger. Of course Thailand wouldn't care about a couple of incinerated tourists if it didn't make the international news. :grinyes:

On the other hand most taxi passengers are Thai and an incineratad Thai would probably piss them off.

regards

ALHOLK

Says dirtroad:

I met a well traveled english guy on my very first trip to LOS and he sweared to always try to open the taxi door after we traveled a few blocks, he told me "if the door does not open, then we are getting robbed"......

little over the top with his thinking?.......maybe and maybe not!

Sounds like the English guy had been smoking a little too much doobie on the beach before he came to Bangkok.

The only good advice he gave you is to generally avoid the taxis that sit and wait for passengers- as they almost certainly will not want to use the meter.

Cheers!

The only good advice he gave you is to generally avoid the taxis that sit and wait for passengers- as they almost certainly will not want to use the meter.

Not only that, there's a good chance their meter is rigged if they're sitting, to show a longer distance than actual. Happened to me once when I got in a taxi on Soi 11 down by Grand President. The meter was reading 1.4 km by the time we reached Sukhumvit. I just told him meter sia and left the cab without paying. He was pissed and yelling until I threatened to call the tamruat to sort it out.

Archived