IE1394 / Pinnacle studio 8

Pom_Jao_Choo

Just set up my new PC with IE1394 port and acompanying Pinacle software.

Anyone able to advise me how might absolutely

optimize the highest quality transfer possible (no matter how slow) ?

And as I can not afford a DVD burner just now would it be possible to store the DVD data on CD disk even though it would be unplayable? Kind of an archival sort of thing?

Thanks

And as I can not afford a DVD burner just now would it be possible to store the DVD data on CD disk even though it would be unplayable? Kind of an archival sort of thing?

If it wasn't that a DVD disc can store more than a CD I think it would be possible quite easily. Have a look at Alcohol Software . It can make exact images of DVD's and CD's. Make a copy of the DVD and then WinZip/RAR it into 600-700 MB section to fit into a regular CD, perhaps?

Hi,

Not sure what your trying to do here but as your using Pinnacle Studio, I assume your planning on transferring from digital camcorder to disk.

If so, then as the IE1394 bus is digital, quality won't be an issue, everything will copy across perfectly. The only other possible problem will be dropped frames, where the PC can't keep up with the data rate. To minimise this, exit all programs before capturing especially internet connections and screensavers. Also, it is worth optmising your hard disk before hand.

A DV tape can hold a LOT of data so be prepared to burn quite a few CD's. If you capture in smallish segements (not a bad idea anyway), you can manually span the CD. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, software is available to automatically cut up large files.

Archived