OZ Dudded By FIFA Backflip

Torneyboy

In a stunning backflip,Oceania lost its direct entry to the 2006 World Cup after FIFA voted to return the regions spot to a South American Country last night.

Some comments in our papers today.

Farcical

unethical

immoral

disgracefull

and many others.

Thw reasons given were treated here as excuses. :doah:

Soccer Australia is in disarray and the regions other mani power New Zealand had performed so poorly at the Confederation Cup being played in France.

The vote BTW was 23 to 1 to backflip the previous decision.

What do you Soccer guys think.

some in the know think we just need to produce good players and results on the board and we will be given a fair break??

thank god for this news.

i am so glad that places in the WC are being given to proper countries,those that know how to play the game..... :neener:

just stick to that silly game which involves touching the ball with the hands,will never catch on......... :grinyes:

FIFA, in my opinion has not offered a good enough explanation of why it would reverse a decision it overwhelmingly sided with before.

It didn't take me long after I started to follow the sport to see FIFA is all about. I'm starting to respect the IOC more! I wonder if football/soccer gets big in the U.S. if it will try to clean it up.

Which brings up another question. Will making it easier for Austrailia and New Zealand to get into the World Cup give the populace incentive to improve football in their countries so they will be represented well in the competition? Or should the competition be just for the best countries and if it doesn't grow in Oz, NZ, the U.S. or Canada so be it?

Says sayjann:

thank god for this news.

i am so glad that places in the WC are being given to proper countries,those that know how to play the game.....
:neener:

just stick to that silly game which involves touching the ball with the hands,will never catch on.........
:grinyes:

And to which game do you refer all these you use the hands Sayjaan?? ::

Rugby League

Rugby Union

Aussies Rules

Cricket

Pocket Billiards

:neener:

Best countries i agree should be in it.

But give the others a chance to have a go and improve.

we have some would class players (all playing overseas and not club comp)

On a good day they can put on a great game.

Just unfair to change thier minds without a GOOD reason IMO

The reason was politics. South America cried and got their 1/2 a place back.

While the backflip, in my opinion, was unethical, the idea of an oceanic group is pretty ordinary anyway. We should be in the Asia group, NZ is our only competitor in the current group, all of the island nations are a joke. That should be our long term goal as auto qualifying is out the window for the Oceanic group. Even if the backflip again, it'll go by the next WC.

Says Redbaron:

The reason was politics. South America cried and got their 1/2 a place back.

While the backflip, in my opinion, was unethical, the idea of an oceanic group is pretty ordinary anyway. We should be in the Asia group, NZ is our only competitor in the current group, all of the island nations are a joke. That should be our long term goal as auto qualifying is out the window for the Oceanic group. Even if the backflip again, it'll go by the next WC.

You are correct re islands i saw a show on the preparation of a team and many did not have boots untill we gave them to them.

Asia is the way to go for us .

WC a long time away i think..even OUR Johnny Warren agreed with the Backflip. :doah:

Archived