Chubby/fat kids

pattaya127

I am just wondering if some of our members have an input about what I see is becoming more and more common around me in Thailand. It seems that some kids are just being totally over-fed, and at a quite young age, toddlers too. My GF's kid is 11 and her waist is already bigger than her Mom's, who stands at 5ft for 43 kilos. Also in my condo, the manager's daughter, 3 years old, seems abnormaly fat. Some of our friends here, had the daughters coming to the USA, 13 and 16, and my God! were those kids enormous, one almost shapeless. I hear now, they really want to lose weight and become attractive to teenager boys in their US schools.

I used to think that, for example for my GF's daughter, she over-compensated missing her Mom by eating and the Grandma spoiling her for that reason too. But this may not be the reason for all the fat kids out there. is it the drastic change of diet from spicy food to the taste for western outlets and their fattening food?

Do you relate to what I am saying?

Coming every year, I have been able to see the difference over the years in the number of kids way too over-weight.

[quote=pattaya127. is it the drastic change of diet from spicy food to the taste for western outlets and their fattening food?

Do you relate to what I am saying?

Hi P127,

welcome to the new forum and you have the honour of being the first poster on here.

Yep, I can totally relate to this and I think IMO that you gave the answer already. I can't think of anything else.

Anybody other ideas?

I've definitely seen a growth in fat kids here where I live.

Just a question to you guys...would you 'allow' your kid to be one of them?

I'd certainly do something to avoid my own kid in becoming one of those fatties I see daily, either by reducing their dinner to 1 plate and/or 'forcing' them to play sports.

Maybe a bad thing to say, but I think it's also due to lack of discipline on their parents' part, something I was very aware of when I was a kid.

the problem is that young people want to eat more western fast food. Another

point is that parents loving their children in a wrong way. They feet them like turkeys. My GTG brother has a 4 years old son. I can not remember one hour, which i dont see him eating something.

:nono:

My son has just started school (anubarn 1) and I was amazed at the number of fat kids in his class, nearly all of them girls. They seem to have a bottomless selection of snacks and drinks in their school bags, and none of them, that I have noticed have parents that could be described as overweight.

My kids attend private schools in town. Nothing special, mainly kids from middle class families. Kids of shop owners, police officers, school teachers so on. Seems to be a lot of Thai-Chinese kids are overweight. I think because fat babies/toddlers are often equated with health and wealth. Sad really as fat toddlers will usually grow into fat teens and adults.

Village schools, the kids are still your typical skinny kids, running everywhere.

I just read the latest issue of Time Magazine/European Issue with an article about obese kids. Here is an excerpt from the article:

---

The stats:

"How many children weigh too much?" Percentage who are overweight or obese

U.S. 37%

Europe 20%

China 10% (= some 30 million kids!)

In the US they start to talk about a "true healthcare crisis"

The problem of obese kids are: as obese adults they have a much higher risk to contract a broad range of debilitating diseases, including heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and cancer.

According to "Time" Asia lags behind the U.S. and Europe in its obesity statistics, but Thailand, Malaysia, Japan and the Philippens are catching up. In China, where a one-child-per-family policy has created millions of spoiled and overnourished children (feeding a phenomenon known as little-emperor syndrome), the rise of childhood obesity is particularly alarming, and that percentage is expected to have doubled a decade from now.

----

Maybe in 20-30 years we have to search for beautiful, slender Asian women. :doah:

"Maybe in 20-30 years we have to search for beautiful, slender Asian women. "

I doubt that. Its the boys who get overstuffed and spoilt in Thailand and other asian countries. When it comes to girls, they have so much pressure to stay slim.

Cheers!

I agree. On top of that the newest group of teenagers in the US seems to be getting fitter. I think there is beginning to be a backlash against their fat parents. Also the image that kids are trying to imitate is the cut rapper or Christina Aguilera look.

The sad part is the mentality that follows the look. I never tire of hearing a middle class white kid saying "yo, yo homes waz up? Yeah let's roll to my crib and smoke some chronic."

Yeah Biff, you're quite the gang-banger.

Archived