Tables turned: Thais support farang?

Khun_Kong

Not sure if this belongs in "Culture" or "Relationships": usually, the two are inextricably linked!

Surely now, with the many years that farang have been coming to Thailand, marrying Thai girls and moving into homes with them, there must be some farang in "3rd stage adulthood" who have outlived their wives. Seems to be part of the deal that the farang and his wife have supported her parents/family for years.

I am wondering how many Thai children will support the aging farang, the same way that he and his Thai wife supported her parents through the years? Is he considered to be a part of the family or is he he on his own, once the wife dies?

• 3 weeks later...

It is usually the poorer class that has to support the parents. most of the upper class and middle class, just live with the parents and take care of them rather than send money. I have at least 5 friends who are bribed with cars, houses within the family compound etc in order for them to stay and take care of the family unit. I would love it - free rent forever, plus food etc. But most of these upper class Thais are looking for an excuse to get out of there- study overseas, work in germany etc.

Archived