crackdowns on farang minds too!

pattaya127

After reading our posts on the subject these past weeks, i'd say everyone in general seems ready to accept a shrinking of the visble sanook sex (how about that for a compromise berween sex and sanook?) scene in LOS, expats being the more philosophical about it. Which comforts me in thinking we are not heartless horny drunks, and gave more than a few thoughts previously and individually about this whole scene. So, in a funny way, isn't the crackdown working in our minds? Would make the thais at the helm a little bit smarter than we allow them to be. Last, real LOS lovers will keep staying and visiting, others will find new international playgrounds. I say, for these lovers, in a couple years, when there are only a few 1000s of us left flirting with the fair sex, it's going to mean even more feeling like heaven. We just have to get used not to pay for sex. Can you do it? Start practicing, on your marks.....

Both serious and LOL, P127.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

Just my opinion.

There is NOT a crack down on the Farang Sanuk/Sex scene!

The crackdown is on drug abuse, and the implication that late night venues are contributing to the drug use. (Not saying that this is right or wrong).

The new government (and the Interior Minister especially) are determined to remove the night venues that have sprung up around Bangkok without any zoning. This in my opinion is good.

Nana Plaza was fine. Soi 3 / Soi 4 are both now a giant Neon zone that has started to get out of control.

Soi Cowboy was fine. Now Asoke Corner is even spilling out onto Sukhumvit and Soi 23.

Patpong hasn't changed much, too many other types of businesses that are successful during the day in the Silom area.

The Thai areas have expanded to RCA/RCA II, Thonglor, Ekkamai, Suttisan, Ratchadapisek, etc... They are also under the same closing hours that are going to be enforced at the Farang places.

Finally, raids and drug testing has been a weekly event at Thai places, only recently (Q-Bar, Music Cafe [no drug testing]) has a Farang placed been targeted.

Expect to see the 5 am entertainment zones to be implemented after the 1:00 am closing has been in effect for a while.

Other areas (Phuket / Samui / Pattaya) will probably see extended closing hours before Bangkok.

quote:

There is NOT a crack down on the Farang Sanuk/Sex scene!

I would say NOT a crackdown on JUST the Farang Sanuk/Sex scene. It appears to be universal and not necessarily hand in hand with the drugs blitz.

I voted on the poll a few days ago that the end of the sex scene would not make me leave Thailand. However much it may change it will not go away. (It hasnt in any other country in the world) If the sexpats leave and the sex tourists stay then there will be more for the rest of us.

In preparation for a big trip to Thailand I have been watching the posts on the early closing times for the past several weeks with a fair amount of trepidation. After inspiring five of my friends join me on this trip with stories about Thailand, I thought I might be forced to eat my words when they learned everything shuts up at 1:00 a.m. I did not even try to lead the posse out when we arrived on Wednesday night since our UA flight came in late, but for the last two nights I have led our little group on a tour of Patpong, Soi Cowboy and Nana. Having been here at exactly this same time last year, and being here with five newcomers, I thought it would pass on a few first observations and comments from the tourist perspective.

1. The Thai women awed most of the guys. That has not changed.

2. Patpong and Soi Cowboy, to a lesser extent, were much busier this year than last year. Patpong seemed busier by a factor of 2. Nana was about the same, except for Vodoo and G-Spot. I hung out at Vodoo and G-Spot for about seven days straight at this exact time last year, and the drop off in customers was clear and obvious. Since I have been away for a year and have not seen the gradual changes, for me it was like one of those “before and after” pictures you see in magazines for diet programs: “I lost 50% of my customers in just one year!!”

3. The biggest complaint: the early closing times. I did not mention it once before or on the way over, but it was obvious to everyone that the bars shut up at an unnaturally early time. Most frequent comment: “This is worse than California.” We have been to Greece, Mexico and Hawaii together, and everyone was perplexed by the early closing times. When you live here, perhaps it is not a big deal, but for tourists it sucks.

4. This morning on the way to internet café to post this report, I ran into a young American and Australian couple. We started talking about other places we have visited, such as Greece and Jamaica, and even though they were obviously not sanukers, they were also surprised and complaining about the early closing times. They were on vacation in Phuket, and wanted to have fun and stay out late. They thought it very odd that in a place like Thailand, where 50 year old fat German guys are pawing 19 year old Thai girls are a common sight, all of the bars are close at 1 a.m. I don’t think they will be coming back.

5. Even in my own group, it is not the hard core sanukers that are put off by the early closing times, but the guys that are less interested in the sanuk scene and more interested in just having a good time going out partying. In other words, the more respectable types in my motley crew are the ones most put off by the early closing times. They are less interested in bar fining a girl and taking her back to the hotel. My own hunch: the early closing times will have a greatest affect on regular tourists.

I agree with LA Dave on the effect this early closing will have on the regular tourist. I'm planning my first trip in December and while the sex scene is included, it most definately does not revolve around it.

These closing times wont ruin my stay, but it will put a damper on things. Being the young handsum man that I am, I like to stay out late and party. Especially on vacation.

As some have mentioned, maybe this will all blow over once the peak tourist season arrives. One can only hope!

Chris

Archived