Book Recommendation

MooNoi

I have recently 'discovered' a Japanese writer by the name of Haruka Murakami. Obviously, by the name, he's a Japanese author, but has had his works translated into English.

VERY VERY enjoyable! I've actually read 2 of his books in the last week - "The Wind Up Bird Chronicles" and "Sputnik Sweetheart" and am now onto my third...

His writing is almost surreal, but it is 'soft' and his word-use paints an amazing picture. There are obvious story-lines in the two books I've read, but there's a heck of a lot if you read between the lines. They really make you think. As one of the critics says on the back cover... "its like taking a baseball bat to your brain..."

Anyone else read anything by him?

If you haven't, check out a couple of his titles in a good bookshop. I'm sure you'll be very pleasantly surprised as I was.

Fly P.

Actually Haruki MURAKAMI is currently one of the most famous Japanese writers, in- and outside Japan and he is my favorite too.

My absolute favorite Japanese book is "A wild sheep chase" written by Murakami. :up:

Even his books are a kind of surreal and contain elements of fantastic literature, they reveal a lot about the current Japanese society, but his writing is not limited on people who have a special interest in Japan.

I wish, Thailand would have one or two writers who could write interesting novels about the country. They must not be world class writers like Murakami, but should be able to entertain without using all this boring and stupid stereotypes usually found in fiction written by Farangs on Thailand (see discussion on "Bangkok 8").

I would prefer some readings by Thai writers, because hopefully they do not follow the beaten paths and are able to give a better inside view. For example it would be great to read a good detective story with Farangs involved by a Thai author. This could open a complete different perspective.

Maybe it is too early to ask for this on Thailand.

Maybe the culture scene is too small for developing interesting literature, or is there a strong literature scene, but unnoticed by western publishers? Or do such books already exist? ::

This has been gone through before on this forum (do a search) but in essence the reason is a lack of translation. It's too difficult for Thais and not enough interest from foreigners. A case in point: there is a quite famous Thai book called 'ÅÙ¡ÃÕÊÒ¹' (Luk Issan) which has been translated as "Child of the Northeast" while technically correct the translator has failed to relate the sense of an Issan identity, it's culture, traditions, language, etc, hs' just given a rather bland geography interpretation.

I went to the library to get a book by this author only to forget the slip of paper that I'd written the name on - couldn't even remember the initial. Anyhow I was looking through the shelves randomly and came across a couple of his novels. Pretty amazing coincidence - a bit like using a picture of sheep in my drawer.

Interesting how he lives in Rome.

Interesting how he lives in Rome.

I think Murakami's moved back to Japan now. Read it on the internet anyway.

Finished reading "Dance, Dance, Dance", and have started reading "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the end of the World", which so far, is totally bizarre and surreal, but enjoyable. Glad I didn't read this one first!

Archived