Another sick buffalo story..

Palatkik

Lots of scope for the BG?s here with the holidays coming up!

From today?s BKKPost ;

Buri Ram ? Hundred?s of buffaloes and cows in Khaen Dong sub district have fallen ill from foot and mouth disease believed to have spread from Cambodia via the cattle trade.

Many buffaloes and cows in six villages of Khaen Dong sub district?s two tambons and one had died at Ban Na Saeng village where 200 of the buffaloes and cows were ill?.

I understand the purpose of cows but with the introduction of the tractor and other machinery, what role does the buffalo play other than a proud figure of the past?

Does the buffalo burger market exist here?

PS. My comment was based on a recent trip to isaan and talking with a few villagers. They were perlexed when i ask them why do they still have a buffalo or two under their house now that they have machinery?

Their answer was " we have always had buffalos".....

cardinalblue

Says Palatkik:

Lots of scope for the BG?s here with the holidays coming up!

From today?s BKKPost ;

Buri Ram ? Hundred?s of buffaloes and cows in Khaen Dong sub district have fallen ill from foot and mouth disease believed to have spread from Cambodia via the cattle trade.

Many buffaloes and cows in six villages of Khaen Dong sub district?s two tambons and one had died at Ban Na Saeng village where 200 of the buffaloes and cows were ill?.

Well the banks will be busy tommorrow with all the TTs from falangland...lucky exchange rates are best for long time ::

"Their answer was " we have always had buffalos"....."

I looked into the same question a couple of months ago. Part of it is tradition, but its also a way for people wiithout stock options (remember those?) to build wealth.

A person without any money can sometimes work as a buffalo herder, moving buffalo around with a stick or sling shot all day. Up in Nondu, this person might end up wth a couple of calves after doing this for long enough, and this would the be start of a new herd. Eventually, some buffalo are loarge enough for market, and this creates the financial reward.

Good for some people in Isan, bad for the buffalo.

RickF

Hi Cardinalblue,

Their answer was " we have always had buffalos".....

Hehe. Great answer, so very thai.

Upcountry buffaloes are also eaten but then again what isnt? ::

It definitely seems like the "Kwai Lek" aka the little buffallo (the little tractor they now all seem to be using) is taking over the traditional role of the buffalo.

The future will probably show how the buffalo will face a smiliar fate as that of the elephant.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi LF,

I could definitely have got that wrong.

I probably have. Thanks for the correction.

And I have been using this expression for years thinking it was Kwai Lek with a high tone meaning little buffalo. ::

Now where did I leave those linguaphone language tapes??? ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Says Palatkik:

Hi palatkik,

This explains why I have not been feeling too good for the last couple of weeks.

Khwaimaisabai

Archived