Money can do everything inThailand.So my wife said

Torneyboy

We were just talking about a few things and i mentioned my son got booked for speeding in his car yesterday and got fined AUD 154 and lost 3 points off his license.(we have 12 points) then lose the license,

Then we talked about the new Thai smart card and what was she going to do or think about it.

First question:

Here (OZ) big problem in Thailand i pay him (police)and now small problem.

Re card:

What happens if you dont have the new card one day when we are in BKK?

Smiles and says nothing..in computer and never mind i can pay.

We renewed her ID in October in bkk i think for 4 years.

I said do we need to go and do anything this trip (october we are going ).

No.

I can go to my Amphur and pay 100 bt and smiles again.

What is it with the system.

She just says to me money can do anything in Thailand.

Are they brought up this way ?

Or do i just keep in my mind TIT ::

>>>What is it with the system.

She just says to me money can do anything in Thailand.

Are they brought up this way ?<<<

reality teaches people.

reality teaches people.

---------------------------------

Unfortunately, this type of reality does change people too. It makes them unwilling to challenge the "money is all" status quo, therefore keeping everyone in its place, and creates a society where nothing changes too fast, people do not strive to move up, or scam or schemes to get ahead.

This could be perfect for Relationship section: Thais have definitely a special attachment to money, that alters a lot of their thinking differently than other money-obsessed culture, like US, for ex., where i would label it more finance-obsessed society. Matters of money in thailand do not seem to make most thais think ahead of today/now!, unless they have the usual drop of chinese blood in them.

you forget the element of fear - very real and often substantiated fear - of any attempt to try to change the status quo.

you think twice before opening your mouth here because it still can get you killed.

you forget ......

------------------------------

FlyW, you are funny. i do not forget it, it was just not the point i was making. I can think of dozens of stories where thais that i know (not just "Pattaya girls") could have striven to do better things, invest their money better, etc... and chose to sit down, spend it all in one day on their friends and themselves and hope they get some again soon, so they can have fun again. Nothing to do with fear, there.

I give you an example: my GF's brother came back from Taiwan, with a 100 000 bahts saved, no one knows what he did with the money, he says he lent it to people who never gave it back (one of my options for not investing safely, actually), 6 months later, wants to get married and has to ask his Mom to borrow 30 000 bahts for his sin sod. My GF is still reeling about that one, more debt, Mom worried, blahblah....

wasting money is not just a thai trait - i have have done that already long before i came to live here, and still do it.

------------------------

Wasting money and time, make tomorrow same as today which was same as yesterday is abit more thai than amer... uh, german ::.

Do you ask your mom or your sister to bail you out, when you waste your money, so you don't have to take responsibility for your actions?

Archived