"One Night in Bangkok" song...illegal?

Stickman

Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" probably inflamed that arsehole DJ Mike Reed :: (of whom the brilliant DJ John Peel :bow: memorably once said, simply "one of the most dislikable men I have ever met" :applause:) not just because of its lyrics (though that's what Radio One said, Wiseone's exactly right) but also because it was initially (before the song became a major recording) hyped on the British Music show the Tube :up: by a cheaply made promo film that involved scantily lace and leather-clad rampantly homosexual members :o, and a few ugly old birds dressed up as tarts, feeling each other up and waggling their hairy arses and/or floppy tits at the camera whilst miming the tune :p. So the shirtlifting group and the song (whose lyrics are lame: "relax, don't do it when you wanna come" is the only "potentially offensive :doah:" line) were well-known "controversy-merchants" before the record even made the shops. I'm sure if it'd been an Elton John song it wouldn't have been banned.

Speaking of "back-door men", the Pet Shop Boys produced a version of "One Night in Bangkok". You can nick it ;) from Limewire.

jack ::

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack (whispers) it was all down to that fucker Morley y'know. He is the anti-Christ! (Granted Trevor Horn did the production. Apparently the tapes of the 'band' doing 'Relax' cold are fucking hilarious. A case of a thousand monkeys and a thousand years and hey presto - 'A Midsummer night's Dream!).

::

Says carew66:

Apparently the tapes of the 'band' doing 'Relax' cold are fucking hilarious. A case of a thousand monkeys and a thousand years...

I hear you knocking brother, and you're coming straight in :up:. Yeah, I'd love to hear those "music" tapes :applause:. Just look at what happened to the "biggest Liverpool act since the Fab Four" after they split up. Granted, Holly Johnson had a brief solo career (did some paintings too, I seem to remember), seemed an interesting, clever guy (although clearly a prolific and voracious shirtlifter of the first water: his autobiography's called "A Bone in my Flute" :down:). The leather queen gadgie with the Village People biker threads and flash Freddie Mercury tash who, as far as I could ever tell, just used to stand and wave his fat hairy arms about like a demented loon (clearly thereby setting the likely precedent for the great Happy Mondays' Bez's "act" :bow:) even had a freak one-off "dancefloor" hit, though I'm damned if I can remember anything about it, or even his handle for that. Pete something? But he seemed fairly with it. At the very worst, he'll be running a once-weekly All Gay Nite :nono: in a Soho tourist pub by now ;). But, thus coolly saving the "best" till last, remember the three straight goons in the band. Fat drummer Pete "Ped" Peden with his permed Brookside scally wig and bum-fluff tash who looked like an angry poodle wanting a tin of Pal quick, a good looking, thin, shy blond guitarist who always seemed simply to stand there thinking to himself "What the jesus harry hell is a handsome "front door boy" like me doing in a fucking gay band.... :(. I felt sorry for him, and a bassist who I can recall precisely zero about :(). Remember? They formed a "rock" group called... wait for it... "The Lads". :help:

Currently residing in the "Where Are They Now? Where Were They Ever? Who gives a Flying Fuck?" section, trivia fans. Or more likely in the dole office. Form an orderly queue. :doah:

jack :help:

LOL!! I'd forgotten about the drummer! :) He was Terry Sullivan in the 'Tommy McCardle' era of Brooky! Fuckin' 'ell.

Always nice to see Bez get a namecheck though! He learned everything from our very own Sileakhunt though!

Holly Johnson...yeah...he isn't a three bad artist and strangely I have a bit of time for him. His T Cell count was taking a dive and he was expected to die before the 80's were out. With a cornucopia of pharmaceuticals plus an extremely rigid diet programme he is still going strong. Good on him - mind you, what a fucking whine he has!

I dunno whether you are occi or ori at the moment but Adam Ant had a really good documentary about him shown here last week. Justine Frieschmann did the commentary (pause here for a quick wank) and it really was quite brilliant. The poor, poor benighted bastard.

The 80's eh? What a wet wank that was.

Frankie says - "Let's go to Eden Club".

Says carew66:

Always nice to see Bez get a namecheck though! He learned everything from our very own Sileakhunt though!

I taught Bez everything I know when we shared a cell in Risley.

He got off I didn't. Where he learned the rest of his trade is a mystery to me.

Your twistin my melon man

Heard this New Version (really not as good as the Standard, I wonder why people bother to record songs anew when they can't rech the Original ...) this Afternoon from the Speakers on the Street at Siam Square next to Hard Rock. Don't know if that was a Radio Station or Public Broadcast, but I very much doubt that the Song is illegal then.....

Sunny

Ah yes, Murray Head / "one Night in Bangkok"

I remember the first time I heard it in BKK. Angelwitch in NEP and the girls all sang along thank you. The same night they played the remake of "Casablanca" that FLB Bar in Pattaya has renamed "Pattaya Beach".

that was a good night!

:)

Take care,

WISteve

Archived