Annoying XP popup messages

There are a bunch of things you can do to make XP run better such as disabling the remote assistance (which is giving you the popup messages).

Also turning off the system restore will give you 3gig of your HDD space back!

Turning off the auto update service too will stop it contacting M$ whenever it feels like it.

Have a look here for more info:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

Thanks for the useful input. It looks as though you understood the original poster's question precisely. Too bad you didn't provide the answer and save the rest of us the trouble of providing helpful hints.

Re the suggestion to turn off system restore to reclaim more hard disk space:

It is true that the default system restore setting consumes a huge amount of hard disk space, however, I would not advise completely turning off system restore. It is a useful feature that can be a lifesaver at times. You can have the best of both worlds, reclaim most of the hard disk space it uses and still have system restore running. Simply go to control panel, system, system restore tab, and there you will find a slider control that lets you specify the amount of hard disk space that system restore can use. I have mine set to 2% which on my hard drive equates to 392 megs. System restore still works fine with that amount of space.

Archived