Retired Farangs living in LOS

Pescator

Many farangs - not at least on this board :) - have a dream/plan/desire to be living in LOS during retirement.

I just wondered how retired farangs who have already made the move are generally doing in LOS. Did everything live up to their expectations? Better or worse?

What do they do with their time? What do they do to keep busy?

It could be very interesting to hear some opinions, not necessarily from board members but also from people you have met/know.

I have met several retired farangs in LOS and others who for various reason dont work, but still live here.

And I have to say that the lives they lead hold little attraction to me. It is way to inactive. They seem to have lost interest in anything but sitting around all day preferably with a bottle of beer in their hand.

I am not trying to make any generalizations here as I have only met some 5-6 retirees but they are definitely all in this category.

cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hua Ngu,

well, yep, I did come here to retire, lasted 8 months. :: Now working part time for a few baht and really great fun for me. A way to link up with interesting folk and keep my few functioning brain cells a stretch. I think, yes, very easy to get a bit too laid back in retirement, whatever that means....and fall into Sad Sack Ex Pat...not sure what others will follow with, but I think...at least for now, I will keep this "little job" and follow the next indicated thing. Definitely, retirement errrr... the cessation of working is an interesting topic.....

chok dee, Traveldog ::

I am 64 1/2 and retired here at 62.I had been coming here 2-3x year on holidays.I met someone that I thought I wanted to live with and with 50,000USD savings,I took early retirement of about 1600USD a month.I am not a fixit guy or a golfer,so my idea was to stay busy being involved in the neighborhood I was staying with my fiancee.

I thought I could do things like help with repairs while learning,maybe teach some free english to small groups of people from the neighborhood.And of course travel,do beaches,occassional partying etc. with my fiancee.

Problem was I was ,like many visitors,not really understanding of the cultural differences or the potential consequences of offending someone enough to have possible visa problems.I was not really aware that I do not have the rights or protection afforded Thais.I was even trying to think of business opprtunities ,that my fiancee and I might do together,without realizing that I could not legally work.

IMO,this is not an expat friendly country.They only care about how much money they can get from you.I am married with an 11 yr.old stepdaughter.I live in a decent condo with all the conveniences and I have no real social life outside the family.I spend my time reading excessively,helping my wife and daughter learn English,workout 1-2 hours daily,go to movies once a week,grocery shopping 2x week,watch to much TV,sit at an old neighborhood eating place with my wife yak yaking with the people as they walk by or come to eat,Am a play partner for the daughter[to much so],take some drives around Thailand and fight the urge to whoremonger alot.

Bottomline,I wish I was still working!!If i understood all that I think I know now about Thailand,I would not be here.I am by no means completely unhappy here,just wish I did not feel so restricted as an expat.

Best Regards,Stan

There is a retired English couple living few doors away from my house in Pattaya who came here 2 years ago. Cut all ties with the UK and moved lock stock and barrel out here. Have got a nice house and pool and they seem to be living a life all over again.

My perception is what are a married couple doing coming to Pattaya to retire :: I have to say they lead a very busy life. Gym, days out, social clubs, charity clubs etc etc. They have a little car and they never seem to be in !!! These guys really surprised me and I have nothing but respect for what they have done. They are not rich (at least visibly) but live a respectful life on their pension. Probably goes a lot further than in the UK. helps that they have holiday'd in Pattaya for many years so are pretty open about the modus operandi here...You have to book them early as their social diary is chocka full for at least 2 weeks forward.

Another retired guy next door to them has a young Thai Wife and he spends every morning on the golf course, out by 7am and back by lunchtime. Again always seems to be keep himself busy. Nobody I know where I live, has hit the bottle at 10.00am unless they do it behind closed doors.

So clearly it can be done, but I think the key is to ensure you get in with a good crowd who see more to life than drinking and sitting around.

Me - Ive got a fair way to go yet for retirement but judging from what i see in these guys, living the good life and enjoying it is certainly possible.

Cheers

Hello,

My husband and I can retire any time now however, he said there was no way that he can stay in Thailand more than a few months at a time even though he can play golf all day long. :rolleyes:

For me, if my mother is not living, it will be difficault for me to just stay long-term in Thailand. I cannot retire in Thailand as an expat which has little right to work (paid or non-paid). I need to do things an volunteering is one of the things I would like to do.

Actually, Thailand has a way to accomodate the ex-Thai citizens but that is outside the scope here.

Cheers!

Slightly off post but I knew many people both singles and couples who made the retirement move to Spain during the 80's and 90's.

Many thought that the move would facilitate a better quality of life with their limited resources but I saw many head back to the UK or become entrapped in a world where the only sure thing was the sight of the next bottle of beer.

Having met a few in LOS, the one thing I see three types of retiree. On the one hand, there is the single guy (divorced / kids grown up etc.) who cannot believe his luck that he can have a young lady "love" him and get laid, whilst another is in LOS due to the relative wealth afforded by a pension or income sourced from a lifetimes / a number of years work in the West. The third type seems to be someone who has come into a sum of money (not rich) by means of redundancy / house sale / even divorce.

In the end, the only people who survived Mallorca (and I include Magalluf etc.) were the ones who found some form of activity. Those who acted as tourists and chugged beer all day either ran out of money or got fucked up in the head.

Often, many found themselves unable to enjoy the life they thought they would due to lack of friends, close contact, language barriers etc. The worst were those who wished they could turn back the clock but could not due to financial concerns.

In many ways, dropping all ties with the home country is a one way trip undertaken without due consideration and without any contingency planning.

To those contemplating such a move, just remember to weigh up al the pros and cons.

If money was not a problem I dont think I could stay anywhere all year round. I would have a home base but I would travel. I don't think I'd spend more than 6-9 months in any one place if I could help it. But that's me.

The question for me personally is would Thailand be that 'home base' and I think it could be. But as much as I love the place, I'd be gone 3 months of the year elsewhere, back to the states for a short while, and other places. I think I would even do this if I was married. Married with kids? That may take some thought. I'd love to be able to take my children to other countries to see other cultures, etc.

As I got older, then that would probably change. I may end up staying all year round or nearly all year round.

Really good thread. I hope it draws a lot of (well-reasoned) comments.

Just talking for myself, I see or hear too many guys starting to think they can only function in LOS, can't wait for that trip back, and the whole "back home' situation is a stink, women, job, people, whatnot. This is the greatest hoax one can play on oneself, worse than any supposed thai scheme. Most of us come from great countries, with a lot of culture, political freedom, rule of law, many liberties taken for granted. What i learnt in LOS (and from thais) is to try to enjoy every moment, WHEREVER you are. If thais think we are silly and Bababobo to find our countries unredeeming and of little value anymore, well they are right, for once. I go to thailand because I love Thailand, but i also love my life, LOS stays are no escape from reality for me. Once you realize all the good that you got, having been born in a free country, I think it sound to both appreciate one's roots and love to travel, using that freedom. Don't burn your bridges is what i say. The person you are will alway be more tied to where you come from than being....well....thai-ed.

next i will speak about my 2 buddies retired in Pattaya. very different life, each.

Says pattaya127:

he said there was no way that he can stay in Thailand more than a few months at a time

-------------------------------------------

He is right. I tried!

PS:Ok, you expats out there, we are talking about non-working dudes, ok?

Or at least the guys who retired to LOS rather than went with/due to a full-time job.

Archived