Wanted: Thai Language Comprehensive Audio Course

Been following the threads and these are of interest but their either unafordable :( or innaccessible ::

Thai Basic Course: FSI

Linguaphone Starter Course

Pimsleur's Thai course

"Learning Basic Thai" by Diplomats Language Course

Thanks

steven20612000@yahoo.com

You could always try the linguaphone course.. You have 21 days to send it back and get your money back. If you were really determined you could complete the course in 21 days..

:cover:

Get the Benjawan Poomsan Becker range of books - make sure you get the packs with the tapes ::

There's a beginner, intermediate and adavnced set. The intermediate for instance is 550 baht at Kinokuniya, Emporium with the tapes.

It's good, I reckon the Linguaphone is better but it is excellent value.

She also produces the most useful handy dictionary i've ever come across. It's the usual smallish dictionary size with a white and red with blue cover. First it covers both Thai to English aswell as English to Thai (amazing how many of the others only go one way....) AND the real humdinger is the transliterations that are provided for both these sections, PLUS a transliteration to Thai and English section. So you can hear a word, and look it up without worrying too much about which particular thai consonant it starts with.... also very useful for all the irregular spelt thai words. Even if you've learnt the thai writing system the irregulars can really trip you up, without some kind of guide.

coops

I purchased a little dictionary last time I was in Thailand similar, I think to Becker's, it's called

"Basic Thai Conversation Dictionary"

It has the normal English - Thai format but the Thai in the Thai - English section is Romanised. I have found this more useful on many occasions than the conventional Thai. It does, of course give the true Thai spelling also.

Says Chico:

You could always try the linguaphone course.. You have 21 days to send it back and get your money back. If you were really determined you could complete the course in 21 days..

:cover:

There's only 6 cassettes. Make copies of the tapes, photocopy the textbooks free on your workplace Xerox rig, then send the fuckers back and get a full refund. :up:

That's what I did. :)

jack ::

>Make copies of the tapes, photocopy the textbooks

>send the fuckers back and get a full refund.

>That's what I did.

I guess we should not be surprised that it is so difficult to find high-quality Thai language course materials for a reasonable price - or at all. It is not such a big market in the first place.

:banghead:

Wagner

Says wsvinja:

>Make copies of the tapes, photocopy the textbooks

>send the fuckers back and get a full refund.

>That's what I did.

I guess we should not be surprised that it is so difficult to find high-quality Thai language course materials for a reasonable price - or at all. It is not such a big market in the first place.

:banghead:

Wagner

I fully agree, skipper :). The Linguaphone lot need a hefty kick up the arse: their course is shite ::. The twenty or so "sanuking" pals :up: I illegally made free copies of the course books and tapes for also said they reckoned it was a waste of money. :down:

I hear they're bringing out a new revised version with CDs soon. Hopefully it'll be a bit more professionally done ;). (The CDs, at least, will be quicker to multiple-copy for your mates before you have to send the shit back for your refund. :applause:)

Cheers,

jack :beer:

Archived