Winchester club no more?

Lusty

I don't know how old this news is but as I have'nt seen it here I'll post.

The Winchester club in Jomtein is now called the "Blind Beggar"(I went past the other day).

I hear a rumour that the former owner/owners in big trouble with authories over narcotic related offences :: and are now long gone,fuck knows where.

Does anybody have anymore info on this,has the format of the club changed :hubba: etc.Thanx in advance.

Does anybody have anymore info on this,has the format of the club changed etc.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for and investigative excursion and 1st hand report. :hubba:

Strictly for the enlightenment of fellow board members of course. :angel::rolleyes:

Pedant Alert. Boring Background Info from a specky twat!

The new name for the Winchester, as has been mentioned above, is 'The Blind Beggar'.

Non-UK readers may be interested to know that this is in homage to the 'Blind Beggar' public hostelry at 337 Whitechapel Road, London E1, a pub that secured its position in the annals of criminal history when Ronnie Kray (twin brother of Reggie and also a gangster) walked in one night and shot George Cornell (another gangland figure) in the bar. This was because, apparently, Cornell had earlier described dear old Ronnie as a 'fat poof'.

This rather disproportionate response earned Ron a life sentence in 1969. He died in incarceration a few years back.

BUT!!!!!! - What is really remarkable about the Blind Beggar in London is its size.

It is the largest pub in the WORLD! Yes indeed! This neighbourhood hostelry in the East End of this great city is at least 5 times the size of Wembley stadium or 3 times the size of Shea Stadium in the U.S.

This amazing factoid is based on the number of people that have since claimed to have been present in the public bar of the Blind Beggar on the night that Ronnie shot Cornell - approximately 400,000 people were having a 'swift half after work' when the deed was done.

This is an even bigger number than the amount of twats that claim to have been a member of the SAS team that stormed the Iranian Embassy in 1980.

Carew66 - making learning fun!!!

Going off topic that is like the number of people who claimed to have been at the first ever Sex Pistols gig which took place in a pub on or near the Kings Road (forget the name). There were probably only about 20-30 people there but the number that have subsequently claimed that they were there could fill the Albert Hall five times over.

Says Johnny Was:

Going off topic that is like the number of people who claimed to have been at the first ever Sex Pistols gig which took place in a pub on or near the Kings Road (forget the name). There were probably only about 20-30 people there but the number that have subsequently claimed that they were there could fill the Albert Hall five times over.

Nah - off topic? We're just keeping it warm until Rusty gets back with a review!

Pistols - now you're talking. I'm guessing here but mebbe the Greyhound which isn't a million miles away. They did play the Chelsea Art College as well.

I always thought that their first official gig was across the road from their squatty rehearsal place in Denmark St: St Martin's School of Art supporting Bazooka Joe. But then I suppose support doesn't count.

The Manchester Lesser Free Trade Hall must have been another one of their packed to the rafters gigs as well. Same-same claims to have been in that crush. Madness at the Dublin Castle in Parkway? Same! Coldplay at same place. Same!

When there's no future

How can there be sin?

We're the flowers in the dustbin

We're the poison in your human machine

We're the future - your future

God save the Queen

We mean it man

We love our Queen

God saves.

Eeeh - they don't write 'em like that anymore.

"They are punk rockers. The new craze, they tell me. Their heroes? Not the nice, clean Rolling Stones... " Bill Grundy.

Archived