Airport Security or The Lack Of It

Torneyboy

Man arrested today flying from a reginal port of Lismore in OZ to sydney.

cabin crew took a METAL bar from him (once seated) the Feds surrounded the plane on arrival arrested him and found a knive as well :doah:

No more details as yet on his mental or other state but WTF is going on here or more to the point not going on.

USA say we may be a point of departure for terrorists on outbound flights.....good example this is :nono:

Security ..lets get real..and quick.

Also today reports of on board "Armed marshalls"" on flights is not happening as promised by airlines.

:banghead:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi torneyboy,

I hear you on these ::

There is a plan to tighten security in the States :banghead:

Feds to start flier background checks

Despite fears of database mix-ups and unconstitutional privacy invasions, the Homeland Security Department is set to begin testing a program that will classify all airline passengers according to their security risk. Homeland Security officials say the program has been reworked so that less personal information will be checked, according to The Associated Press. Travelers will also be able to write or call to find out if there's anything in the database about them ? something that was not the case under the original plan. Personal information such as birthdays, addresses and phone numbers will be required from passengers. That information would then be checked against the government database and through publicly available commercial databases to determine a security threat level.

I think that sucks myself :censored: :censored:

paulc31 :angel::grinyes:

Hey torneyboy,

All so in the news:

TSA 'security directive' targets international travelers

Some travelers will face an exhaustive probe and many more could see delays grow as the U.S. government responds to the latest hijacking threat. The Washington Post says airlines are under orders to examine clothing, shoes and every personal item carried by certain international travelers. Special attention will be paid to what are termed common items that might disguise explosives or weapons ? cameras, toys and electronic devices ? as well as clothing and the insoles of shoes.

What is this world coming to :dunno:

paulc31 :angel::grinyes:

>on arrival arrested him and found a knive as well

On my last trip to BKK (4th of July), nobody detected (neither I knew it was in my old hand bag) a Swiss army knife, in a leather pouch.

My gf, unpacking my bags found it.

"You take this to plane, haaa?

Why you take it, haaaa?

Kill somebody, haaaa?".

Security officers can be more pleasant than that, but, hey, find it! It's their job!

Says paulc31:

Hey torneyboy,

All so in the news:

TSA 'security directive' targets international travelers

Some travelers will face an exhaustive probe and many more could see delays grow as the U.S. government responds to the latest hijacking threat. The Washington Post says airlines are under orders to examine clothing, shoes and every personal item carried by certain international travelers. Special attention will be paid to what are termed common items that might disguise explosives or weapons ? cameras, toys and electronic devices ? as well as clothing and the insoles of shoes.

What is this world coming to
:dunno:

paulc31
:angel::grinyes:

I guess a delay and be safe is the price we have to pay in the world as it is at the moment.

Its frightening what can get through security.

2 Months ago went to the UK with my GF, unbenown to either of us she had a craft knife (with retractable blade about 3 inches long, sharp as anything) in her handbag. Not spotted at BKK security nor the additional TG security in the lounge as it was a UK flight. She discovered it when emptying her bag at my parents house in the UK. Perhaps even more frightening is that she had the same knife in the same bag going back and again did not give it a second thought. Passed straight through secuirty at heathrow and this time she realised it was still in her bag on the flight back to bangkok when she was looking for a pen in her bag for the customs forms.... :dunno:

Cheers.

A lot of small items ( flat cutting case cutting blades especially) make it through the passenger carry on xray maching because ( mostly by accident of course, but if someone knows the system they can increase the odds by putting the item in the bag thin sides up) by going through "standing up" in the bag. the xray will only show a thin line.

the new enhanced software that highlites objects by density or composition may show blades and thin objects passed through the horz way, but odds are still not good.

On a recent internal flight from BKK to Phuket, my friends hand luggage was examined as they thought he had a 'leatherman' in it. The girl doing the checking opened his wash bag only to accidently switch on a vibrator that was in it, which promptly started jumping about on the table, much to my amusement and my friends embarassment! The security girl was in stitches too.

The leatherman turned out to be one of those mini maglite torches.

I like to think of the comedian (cant remember his name) who claims that he carries a bomb aboard every flight he makes. His attitude is 'What are the odds of there being TWO bombs on this plane ?' :grinyes:

Seriously, whilst I agree that security needs to be rock solid at airports, I think we all need to accept that air travel has always carried a degree of risk, whether that risk entails flying into the side of Mt Erebus at 900 km/h or having some nutter produce a weapon at 28,000 feet. Given a choice, I'll take my chances with the nutters : mountains dont give you any chance at all.

Man, I hope those maintenance dudes at Garuda are smoking the good weed, not that second-rate stuff that destroys your short-term memory :)

Archived