Airport Security or The Lack Of It

Torneyboy

the Homeland Security Department is set to begin testing a program that will classify all airline passengers according to their security risk

Am I the only member who thinks that the term Homeland Security Department sounds ominously like something from Orwell's 1984 ? Hitler probably had a similar term for the department which investigated the Jews in Germany prior to the beginning of open persecution. I dont argue against the right of the US to protect its citizens, but I have to wonder whether the terrorists are actually winning when they give Big Brother the kind of sweeping powers which governments have been able to secure post 9-11. Why dont we simply have barcodes tattoed onto our foreheads from birth ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only member who thinks that the term Homeland Security Department sounds ominously like something from Orwell's 1984 ? Hitler probably had a similar term for the department which investigated the Jews in Germany prior to the beginning of open persecution.

It?s different, I guess. In Nazi Germany it was called Gestapo (secret state police)

Why dont we simply have barcodes tattoed onto our foreheads from birth ?

this doesn?t yet work. :)

::

I like to think of the comedian (cant remember his name) who claims that he carries a bomb aboard every flight he makes. His attitude is 'What are the odds of there being TWO bombs on this plane ?'

Seriously, whilst I agree that security needs to be rock solid at airports, I think we all need to accept that air travel has always carried a degree of risk, whether that risk entails flying into the side of Mt Erebus at 900 km/h or having some nutter produce a weapon at 28,000 feet. Given a choice, I'll take my chances with the nutters : mountains dont give you any chance at all.

Man, I hope those maintenance dudes at Garuda are smoking the good weed, not that second-rate stuff that destroys your short-term memory

Ha ha,

Yeah we dont want to lose you Artiew.

Says artiew:

Why dont we simply have barcodes tattoed onto our foreheads from birth ?

Would be easy with BG's as well...... you'll know immediately what she's asking for ST & LT, and if she takes it up the s.... :grinyes: :grinyes:

Jokes apart, the new evolution is scaring the shit out of me !

Cheers !

Nothing new about those in Power, making sure no one else gets any power and they stay in control of the masses. Fear and paranoia have always been great tools. Although the technology is there, I won't get to concerned yet about it. Most mega operations, especially gov't one, can barely find their own ass.

But it looks good for budget appropriations. Fear, ignorance and big money available. Sounds like a winner for someone.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Says LaoHuLi:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Nothing new about those in Power, making sure no one else gets any power and they stay in control of the masses. Fear and paranoia have always been great tools. Although the technology is there, I won't get to concerned yet about it. Most mega operations, especially gov't one, can barely find their own ass.

But it looks good for budget appropriations. Fear, ignorance and big money available. Sounds like a winner for someone.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Not the travelling public at this point...wish they get it right

I think the arrangment of the scanners for the check-in baggage at BKK international is a joke.

On my last trip I had a soft case which has multiple zipped compartments. Only one of the zips was sealed with the security tape. I could have easily inserted anything from my unchecked carry-on luggage into the case before handing my case over.

Says solar:

I think the arrangment of the scanners for the check-in baggage at BKK international is a joke.

On my last trip I had a soft case which has multiple zipped compartments. Only one of the zips was sealed with the security tape. I could have easily inserted anything from my unchecked carry-on luggage into the case before handing my case over.

All i can do is agree...what a big problem BKK is ....no answers in sight BTW :doah:

Archived