Hard Disk Privacy and Customs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience with carrying a laptop all over the world is, if they care at all, they will want to see the machine turned on. Once they see the initial logo screen, they are satisfied. This is apparently to ensure that it is not a fake shell holding who knows what.

However, an external HD that cannot be turned on ?may? cause concern. Concern leads to close examination.

Bottom line, never carry anything through customs that you have any qualms about being publicly associated with you. What if just a few of the jpegs, perhaps some you have never even viewed, are determined to be ?likely underage images?? Your ass would be cooked? don?t put yourself at risk.

Says loner w/a boner:

Says Peter1964:

I would really be interested, what you are storing on your hard drive. Imo, it can't be anything good.
:(

Apparently my attempt at mild humor has backfired and actually raised suspicion.
:banghead:
Truly nothing horrific--I promise!
:angel:

Mostly just neekid women, and a few articles about states rights vs Federalism (in the USA), rights of the individual granted from our "Creator"--not tyrants...that kind of thing. That and a bunch of little Win98 tweaks and freeware executables are archived on there, so I can re-install them easily. I'd rather not start that over from scratch, having to find and download them.

Thank you for pointing out Panthip. I hope to buy a laptop upon arrival. I have been told they are around 40K+ baht for a good one. As far as net connection, I've read some on this board about broadband. I may be too spoiled to go back to dial-up.
:)

Thanks

I wouldn?t worry too much about customs and immigration unless they find you suspicious for some reason. As far as I know they don?t do random checks of hard drives yet.

Is there some reason you don?t want to buy a laptop before you leave the US? I believe they are a better value in the US. There are encryption programs that would work well enough for your situation, even the one that comes with XP Pro seems pretty good.

Why not just obtain and use a utility that ecrypts directories or folders? Harder yet, but may put your mind at ease would be to use an utility to zip it into a password protected file. These utilities are readily available for the Macintosh (Disklock, Stuffit, etc.) so I am sure there are plenty around for Win 98 as well.

RickF

Says SiLeakHunt:

......Why not put it all on a server in wherever you come from.........

That did cross my mind. I could FTP using a SSH such as Putty maybe.

Says SiLeakHunt:

PS IT's 1 bottle of Johnny Walker Red plus a barfine as my consultancy fee.

OUCH! Top of the line pay for top of the line advice, eh? We may just start with a drink. I hope to be arriving in early to mid Sept, and don't know a farang soul over there.

Says carew66:

...you might be accused of un-American activities in this current climate right? I am not being sarcastic.

That has crossed my mind. Quite innocently, of course. Guess I'm just being paranoid, but the Canadian border patrol wasn't all that crazy about my literature.

For example (these are fictional), a newspaper article entitled "Keep Those Guns" about gun control, or "Down With the Monarchy" chronicalling the historical debate between self-determination vs Colonization with England some two centuries ago. That title might really offend an a certain type of inspection officer--especially one living in a Kingdom with a highly revered Soverign.

I haven't flown in years, and had, until now, no idea what to expect regarding the level of detail employed for the screening of digitized data.

Thank you all for your input. I'll probably leave it home. May even have someone UPS it to me.

Thanks.

Says PartOfTheProblem:

...However, an external HD that cannot be turned on ?may? cause concern. Concern leads to close examination.

That was my precise concern.

Says PartOfTheProblem:

Bottom line, never carry anything through customs that you have any qualms about being publicly associated with you. What if just a few of the jpegs, perhaps some you have never even viewed, are determined to be ?likely underage images?? Your ass would be cooked? don?t put yourself at risk.

Well, uh, yes...the mature, sensible "other-side" of loner w/a boner knows this, and even felt a little voice guiding that way. But the spoiled, horny loud voice of loner w/a boner was screaming louder.

I've pretty much decided to leave the drive home...for now. And yes, update my backups for sure.

Says rickfarang:

.... Why not just obtain and use a utility that ecrypts directories or folders? Harder yet, but may put your mind at ease would be to use an utility to zip it into a password protected file. RickF

I've considered that. There is also an extensive listing under Technology regarding the pros and cons of encryption, etc...

Thanks

Well mate take this anyway you want, but remember you did ask our advice.

1. Stop being so paranoid, it is a trait not shared in most of the world, despite what your gov't and media proclaim. (Well it appears to be working on you at least) :(

2. Consider what in the world do you need anything on any hard-drive for if you are coming here for a holiday, or to look for work for a month or two. Store your resume on your email account and relax. :beer:

3. Remember that after 24 hrs here (and I'm being VERY generous if you have never been here before) you will forget you even have a hard drive. Although you will most likely have other hard drives on your mind. After 2 days you'll forget about finding a job and after 3 you'll start to relax and enjoy. Welcome to LOS. :grinyes::neener:

You may even have to change your handle....well certainly the 1st part. :hubba: :hubba:

Archived