Don't mess with a Thai taxi driver

Yehtmae

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

Whats the state of progress with Duangchalerm

STH

I believe he is out on bail. His lawyer argued that all the civilian witnesses had already given evidence, and that as all the police witnesses were undercover cops it would be impossible for the Chalerms to find them and "influence" them.

...Bloody hell, it's catching on :o.

CAB DRIVER SUSPECTED OF KILLING PASSENGER DURING QUARREL

KANAZAWA, Ishikawa Pref. (Kyodo) A taxi driver in Ishikawa Prefecture was arrested Wednesday morning after he allegedly beat a passenger to death during a quarrel the previous night, police said.

The 55-year-old cabby, Kazuo Tanaka, from the city of Matto, got into the fight with Kenji Kumano, 67, a security company employee from Kanazawa, at around 11:40 p.m. Tuesday on a street in Kanazawa.

During the fight, Kumano collapsed and the back of his head struck the pavement. A passerby watching the fight called police, and Kumano was taken to a hospital but died shortly afterward.

Tanaka was arrested on suspicion of causing injuries resulting in death. Police quoted the driver as saying that he punched Kumano because the passenger had hit him during a quarrel.

An investigation determined that the quarrel erupted when Kumano complained that Tanaka had taken him to the wrong destination. When Kumano exited the taxi without paying his fare, Tanaka chased after him and punched him a few times in the face.

Kumano caught Tanaka's cab to go home after eating and drinking in central Kanazawa. The fight erupted about 200 meters from his home.

Japan Times 14 August 2003

j :(

**********we just had a drugwar in which about 3000 people were massakered in very dubious circumstances all over the country within 3 months - i have difficulties to understand how you can call that a "very civil place".**********

These are extreme measures for extreme circumstances that were damaging the well being of the nation, unlike the taxi incident where extreme measures were taken for what can only be viewed as an incident or a nuisance creating irritation that flashed & got out of hand. You?ve got bad behavior here on all sides and all parties are suffering now because their feelings got the better of them.

If we can believe Fly?s general comments on the blow up point of ordinary thais in awkward situations the only remedy is to be well behaved at all times and forget confronting thai people for the sake of a few baht or trying to prove you?re right, if not who knows how short our lives may become though I don?t really see taxi drivers as ordinary, more a rough street job filled with daily frustrations & low pay that not many of us here would care to do. The face factor has such an elevated position in their lives compared with ours it?s almost impossible to deal with it without compromise on the farang side and definitely not worth the risk with so little to gain, maybe suicidal if drunk, an neat piece of eastern psychological one-upmanship that guarantees success most of the time for thai-farang disputes especially where farang has little or no backup as is usually the case.

As the drug problem blew up to epidemic levels reaching down to large numbers of very young children something had to be done & in many ways Thais are more practical than westerners dealing with outlaws, the thinking being much like the Iraqi war, give them fair warning to quit then go in and root out known elements. Besides as outlaws the bad guys know well enough they?re not going to get much in the way of what we call fair treatment. The drug trade has to be the roughest game of all. The activities that created an uncivil place in this area were met with action that has restored some level of civility so were perfectly justified whatever the means used, and here cheaper and quicker is better, resources being scarce. When you see a big chunk of society dribbling down the drain getting worse by the day the only responsible thing to do is to stop it and make the place civil again, so from that view I?d say what they did fell into the civil & practical category & the wild bush it was growing into has been pruned back a bit.

the use of the word ghetto I feel is misplaced & better describes densely populated poverty level immigrant areas in Europe & elsewhere where that population is predominantly one race, nationality or religion. Property on lower Suk is middle to upper class & expensive. Many farangs live in the area but Thais overwhelmingly predominate.

btw what are your credentials?

>>>btw what are your credentials?<<<

none of your business.

>>>I don?t really see taxi drivers as ordinary, more a rough street job filled with daily frustrations & low pay that not many of us here would care to do.<<<

oh excuse me, i did not know that we are blessed with royalty on the board here ;)

your majesty - i am extremely sorry to inform you that some of your more 'ordinary' subjects are at times forced by circumstances to dirty their hands with manual labour and such low class activities.

>>>These are extreme measures for extreme circumstances that were damaging the well being of the nation<<<

i think you have no idea what you are talking about here.

as an example, 10 meters away from my wife an unarmed bloke was executed by the police - a shot in the leg to stop him running, another from close range to blow his brains out. fortunately she was not the only witness as it was common during those three months to kill sole witnesses as well. extreme measures...:onfire:

if you like it or not, thailand has a constitution and a law - and that by my knowledge has no provision for deathsquads and extrajudical killings.

****none of your business.****

Walter Mitty comes to mind.

******oh excuse me, i did not know that we are blessed with royalty on the board here your majesty - i am extremely sorry to inform you that some of your more 'ordinary' subjects are at times forced by circumstances to dirty their hands with manual labour and such low class activities.*****

Now hold up, old boy. how do you jump from a fair description of a tough street job to making a silly comment like that? Good manners and objectivity are important. Most of us here would not care be Bangkok taxi drivers because it?s a hard job with long hours, poor pay and evidently big risk. Simple as that. The only thoughts of class here are yours. One day on Soi 4 opposite the Nana I watched a guy submerge himself into the overflowing & clogged manhole to clear the debris. As I watched, again I thought that?s an awful job I don?t want to do. Nothing to with your suggestion and everything to do with an unpleasant job.

****i think you have no idea what you are talking about

here. *****

What is the purpose of this comment? I paraphrased the thoughts of the Prime Minister as published in the press.

*****as an example, 10 meters away from my wife an unarmed bloke was executed by the police - a shot in the leg to stop him running, another from close range to blow his brains out. fortunately she was not the only witness as it was common during those three months to kill sole witnesses as well. extreme measures...

if you like it or not, thailand has a constitution and a law - and that by my knowledge has no provision for deathsquads and extrajudical killings.*****

You?ve told us all many times that the law is the last thing that comes to the mind of an excited Thai so I guess this is another example. Running away from cops who want to question you to inadvisable. As we all know the law is shaped to the situation in many cases. Thais like to do things their own way and dealing with the drug trade seems to require it. TIT. You can?t have it both ways.

I see that the thread is getting out of hand here & really shouldn't intervene. Anyhow.

Says legover:

...though I don?t really see taxi drivers as ordinary, more a rough street job filled with daily frustrations & low pay that not many of us here would care to do...

What a shitty comment. There's plenty of taxi drivers here perfectly "normal" middle class life, working hard and raising a family (and by middle class I mean "middle" of Thai society when it comes to housing, income & general outlook on life).

Says legover:

As the drug problem blew up to epidemic levels reaching down to large numbers of very young children something had to be done & in many ways Thais are more practical than westerners dealing with outlaws, the thinking being much like the Iraqi war, give them fair warning to quit then go in and root out known elements.

Two good examples that are clearly against -- not only local law -- but International Human Rights Law and International Law. A system of rules that has taken at least 1000+ years to develop so it's not to be taken lightly. And that's not even mentioning the moral and ethical aspects...:banghead:

Says legover:

the use of the word ghetto I feel is misplaced & better describes densely populated poverty level immigrant areas in Europe & elsewhere where that population is predominantly one race, nationality or religion.

Ghetto = A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure. -- Personally, I think this describes lower Sukhumvit pretty well...

>>>Walter Mitty comes to mind.<<<

Used as a noun, the phrase Walter Mitty is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary as "referring to a person who fantasises about a life much more exciting and glamorous than their own".

you do start stretching my patience here with you anal attempts to bait me. stop that.

this is an open message board and i have a right to withhold my identity, and you should have been here long enough to know better than asking such a question.

the last time - back off!

****What a shitty comment. There's plenty of taxi drivers here perfectly "normal" middle class life, working hard and raising a family (and by middle class I mean "middle" of Thai society when it comes to housing, income & general outlook on life).****

Odd that you?d read into it something like that. I?m puzzled but I guess you?ll read into it what you want. But you?re quite right in your own general comment, though that doesn?t make the job any easier and for some reason you?ve brought a notion of class here too, the furthest thing from my mind and irrelevant. The comment was about the nature and conditions of the job not class of person occupied in this line of work. If you read over my note more carefully you can find within it my expression of sympathy for doing a hard, demanding & sometimes dangerous job I wouldn?t want to do. In a more ordinary job you wouldn?t be confronted by unpredictable drunks barfing in your vehicle late at night then arguing about the consequences. Why else would they carry long knives in their vehicles. I think it?s because it?s a weapon that can be used to settle disputes.

Yes there plenty of laws to guide the authorities and I haven?t the slightest idea how to deal with nationalwide drug issues, way outside my experience. though it is a scourge and the people involved are killing and destroying the lives of many young people and creating layers of problems that only dire remedies can cure or improve. I?ve seen plenty of it first hand and when it goes on too long there?s only tragedy & ruin. You should take up the moral and ethical aspects with the drug barons & dealers profiting from the callous destruction of countless lives, the responsible parties. Just hope your own children don?t get snared. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Jai dee krap.

Archived