Is Thailand a violent society

of course i would not compare the situation here with the one in most countries of africa or burma - there are worlds between them.

but then, i would also not compare it here with the west either.

>>>but why would someone have to absolutely see it?<<<

one doesn't need to see those things, but one should acknowledge that things aren't as nice here as we would wish they are, and as they appear on the outside.

the way how i look at things in that aspect is that we are here reaching very soon a crossroad. every thai knows that things just cannot keep going the way they always went. tremendous changes are taking place right now, and thaksin's appearance and his radical politics are but one of the signs of those social changes. and i mean what i say there - he is not just a originator he also is somehow just a reaction to some historical inevitabilities here, the same way how the tremendous drugproblem here is a reaction, the same way the rising rate of violent crime is a reaction. not direct reaction, history does not just move linear, it is a lot more complex.

and don't think that people here do not discuss all that, people do, and many throughout the classes are very concerned, whatever their political allegiance, pro or contra present government.

and the question of "is thailand a violent society" should be clear by now.

if it wouldn't be - would there be a need for such a violently reacting government? drugwar, social order, etc.

if it wouldn't be - would there be those gangfights and other similar events less publicised on the rise? and no, these are not isolated events, there are clear patterns.

what many people fail to understand is that the way how most of us westerners experience this country is in no way related to the everyday reality of the vast majority of thais. things aren't very obvious, but a little bit of effort does get one very far.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived