Is Thailand a violent society

Following the taxi driver case, here are some interesting crime statistics.

Draw your own conclusions.

Crime statistics 2001

Thailand: Population 62 million

Homicide cases 5027 1 per 12,400

Sexual offenses 20862 1 per 2,972

Serious Assault 21054 1 per 2,945

United Kingdom&Wales: population 52 million

Homicide cases 850 1 per 61,176

Sexual offenses 37311 1 per 1,394

Serious Assault 15662 1 per 3,320

United States: Population 285 million

Homicide cases 15980 1 per 19,000

Sexual offenses 90491 1 per 3,149

Serious Assault 907219 1 per 314

Notice the very high number of murders in Thailand in relation to the population. Much higher even than the US.

These are crimes reported to the police in each country.

IMO the number of sexual crimes in Thailand are much much higher, but less likely to be reported than in Western countries

Serious assault is frequent in the US. From that point a not so safe society

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to see how the stats are computed for each region. Do you think that most of the crimes happen around the big cities, BKK most, then Korat, Chonburi/pattaya and CM?

More important than our opinions, have you asked thais around you this question?

PS; quick, before FlyW says it :p: are the 3000 massacred in drug wars instigated by police zeal, computed in the murder stats. that would really raise the average this year.

I conclude that Thailand is more violent from the data you have provided... it has the highest murder rate... UK and USA will have much better methods of recording crime as well; so no doubt some homicide in Thailand goes unrecorded which would have been recorded in UK and USA...

I wonder what Thailands crime rates would be if they were recorded as accurately and free from corruption as in UK and USA....

STH

Never really did understand this notion that the US/UK are so violent and Thailand is safer, etc. People compare walking around some dark alley in their home city with lower Suk and then declare that they're much safer in Thailand. All a question of perception, I guess.

The statistics are quite interesting, but do not change my basic perception that Thailand is safe. In Thailand, I think most murders are either crimes of passion or related to business disputes. There is no reason why the average tourist or foreign resident should end up a murder statistic. On violent assault, I strongly suspect that what would qualify in Thailand would be considered trivial in the US or UK.

The incidence of sexual assault, I am sure, is much higher in all countries than the statistics show. However, it would be a rare Thai who would dare assault a foreign tourist (or a wealthy Thai). Any complaint would be dealt with very seriously.

Yes, Thailand has crime. But, Westerners in Thailand are generally much safer here than at home.

"However, it would be a rare Thai who would dare assault a foreign tourist (or a wealthy Thai). Any complaint would be dealt with very seriously."

I wouldn't recomend you put this statement to the test, especially upcountry. We are generally cut a lot of slack as falangs but out of the tourist areas things can change very quickly :p

Official Royal Thai Police figures as reported to Interpol

On a note. IMO the number of murder cases are probably quite accurate. It very difficult for a murder case not to come to the attention to the police.

Different for the other 2, as it depends often on the victim to report. Thai females are less likely to report sexual assault than their counterparts in the West. Same with other form of assault, especially up country where the next police booth may be miles away.

Archived