CGK - BNE still in demand

gobbledonk

I realise that the incredible Business Class pricing currently being offered by Garuda on its Jakarta flights will attract a lot of interest, but I thought that recent events may have put people off.

You can imagine my surprise when my travel agent told me that I had secured the *last* seat (in that class) on a flight back to Brissie early in the New Year. I dont know if thats her standard line to make people feel 'special' or what (OK, I did go out and get her name tattoed on my left buttock), but it made me happy that I had booked early.

As long as Garuda dont go out of business between now and December, I will finally get to sit in Business Class. If you see a Cheshire Cat get on a flight out of Brisbane, that will be moi :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

Hi,

good luck with Garuda. Every flight I had with them was smoth and good. Only once my flight back had been rescheduled twice and my wife had been rerouted to Singapore Airline twice. I'll fly with them again though, when they reestablish the direct route between Frankfurt / Germany and Jakarta (while knowing they might stop that service again two days before my flight). That have been tough times for Garuda the last three years.

that sounds unbeliable that you got the last biz seat some 5 months prior to the flight date :eek:

last week when my flight from shanghai to singapore was booked I was surpriced to learn I got one of the last biz seats for this friday's morning flight(still 1st class avail though!) while the rest of my itenary including europe-asia flights was plenty of economy seats left still?

it's an amazing world out there in the plane biz even after sars...

::

Artiew,

Hope you enjoy Jkt, I still rate it better than Bkk, but that is only my humble opinion. Make sure to check out Bandung if you get the chance, its a real hoot.

Cheers

The artist formerly known as Jaga, livin it large in the burbs of Seoul.

Jaga,

You've changed your name ??? Man, you realise that we'll have to shorten that to 'PS' in every response now .... :neener:

I will try to get to Bandung - am horrified by what I read about Jakartas traffic, though - it may take me several hours just to get from the city centre to the airport / zoo / whatever ... is it possible that there is a city with worse traffic than Bangkok (ok, but Mexico City isnt on my list of desirable destinations :) ).

Your holiday is short, fly to Bandung its cheap. The train ride is ~3-4hours and sometimes getting a ticket is a hassle. If you do you want business or executive class. Getting to the airport is a lot easier than coming from the airport. Going to the airport can look like a losing battle but most of the traffic turns off towards the Sumatra ferry terminal. Its safe to plan on 45 min to an hour from downtown Jakarta to the Airport. That can be longer if you take the DAMRI bus.

Traffic has been pretty bad this year. Thamrin south of the WTC is always bad. The road in front of the JW Marriot has been a crawl for several months, and the nex east west road down Subroto - MT Haryono has been real bad on account of a flover being built at the pancuran interchange. The southern end of Thamrin is the only one that might realy cause you any grief as well as the toll road from semanggi heading out towards the airport, which clears out as noted above. If it rains that changes everything, for the worse, but you might still be a few weeks early for that.

Consider getting a driver. The car hire agencies oftenn provide a driver at no extra cost. However I bet if you ask around you could get a private car and driver for under 300,000 a day. If you get a cab driver you like just ask him.

Thanks, Adik. Its depressing to think of that sort of traffic after so long in an area where I can drive home at lunchtime, enjoy a meal and drive back in under an hour. 3 roundabouts, *no* traffic lights - its bliss :)

I am also considering a short trip to Bali. Would not have gone there prior to the attack (I can only handle so many of my compatriots in one place, esp on holidays ..), but I do feel compelled to see the site, and I am told that the Balinese are slowly rebuilding their lives. They are longterm victims : the other survivors went back to sympathetic countries, and they were left with nothing.

The traffic is a lot worse if you have to drive. Thats why I make a point of never driving. We usually take a cab after we send the driver home. Just bring something to read, play with your phone or bring a friend along. Yeh I can get to Bali faster than I can get to to our little cabin which is just 110 Km away.

Go to Bali, its easy to get away from the loads of people in Kuta. If you stay in Seminyak the night life is better anyway. People talk about tourism being slow but they don't seem to let it get them down.

Archived