Lese Majestee laws...

itsmedave

Let me start by saying that this post is only a general hypothetical question and I don't mean any offense to any royal from any country.

Being from the United States, I'd never run into any of these type of laws, I don't really understand them. Making fun of powerful people is something of a national hobby in our country, and these type of laws limiting free speech worry me when applied to any country which calls itself free.

What I wonder is, how far do they go? My understanding is that it is illegal to say anything negative about the royal family. If this is true, then (hypothetically, please) can these people do anything they want without fear of reproach of any kind. For example, if a royal of any country (not necessarily Thailand) which carries these laws, decided to go out and rape some girl, would the girl be imprisoned if she complained because she was defaming a royal? Can they shoot people in the street with no worries of punishment???

I hope the moderators know I am not a troll, and this is a serious question that has been bothering me for some time. I will state again for the record I know of no wrongdoing by any royal of any country and have no ill will to any such person. This is completely hypothetical in every way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is something of a worldwide curiosity that happens more than you might think. Throw "diplomatic immunity" in there too. Remember in NYC some drunk east european diplomat crashed into and killed innocent people but could not be charged? Or how about the USA not wanting to be party to any war crimes tribunal if it would be possible for any of their own to be charged with a crime?

My theory is that the lese majeste laws are only accepted/welcomed by the Thai public because they have a ruler who is genuinely and universally loved and respected. It will be interesting to see how things develop if and when a less popular monarch takes the throne.

Says itsmedave:

If this is true, then (hypothetically, please) can these people do anything they want without fear of reproach of any kind.

Yes

For example, if a royal of any country (not necessarily Thailand) which carries these laws, decided to go out and rape some girl, would the girl be imprisoned if she complained because she was defaming a royal?

Yes

Can they shoot people in the street with no worries of punishment???

Yes

Nice reply PvtDick,

Alot of the girls i have met over the last 4 years, have alittle budda pendant and on the same neclace they have King Rama 5, that they love and respect just as much.

I was talking to a thai girl one day about past kings, (she was 31, so i new she would know i was not disespecting the King) and she said very quiatly that there was one king that nerlly brought the country down, and she said she did not like that one, but the others are good hearted.

Cheers Roman

Ps, I was in a Thai part of Koh Samui, (have not got a clue as to were becouse my thai girl took me there) and we watched a new thai film that had just come out at the time, and i was the only falang in this bar / cinema and suddenly there was a scene in the film were a 3 year old thai king was exicuted, and everyone in the cinema missed the next scene in the film becouse they were bowing there heads down in disaproval.

To give you a specific example, a journalist was convicted of this offence and sentenced to a period of imprisonment. He wrote an article referring to the King as "skipper"... I think the king granted him a pardon....

In this world we are told everyone is equal.. which is rubbish... for example a pioneering heart surgeon is a more worthwhile person than myself.... he is better than me...

Most people who live in a counrty which has a monarchy accepts that the King and Queen are better than they are, I am happy to and have no problem with that at all....

Like you said it would be interesting to see how a populace would react if they didnt repsect the monarch....

STH

Says romaning2004:

I was in a Thai part of Koh Samui, (have not got a clue as to were becouse my thai girl took me there)

..... euhhhhh is there a 'non' Thai part then ???????

As to address the original question, the answer is that here in Europe, royals are indeed accountable for their actions......

Cheers !

Hi BelgianBoy,

I have been to Koh Samui 3 times so far, and the girls i have been with genually only take me to other falang torest areas, were as my last girl took me to only thai populated areas becouse from earlier chats togeather she knew that i would appreaciate it :) and enjoy everything that was happening.

Cheers Roman

This might be a thai urban myth, not sure. I read a couple of years ago about a european guy flying first class to Bkk on TG. Another passenger asked the stewardess to tell mr laptop to turn it off as it was annoying her. He refused and continued to use it even when told the request was from a Princess. The story I read said he got irate and said he did not give a damn who was asking.

On arrival he was met by the boys in brown, charged and served time, anyone know if this true?-peter

That incident did occur. I seem to recall that it was a French guy and that in the end, he was able to wriggle out of the problem with an apology. A search of the BKK Post archives may shed light on the details.

Archived