Landlord Keeping deposit - what to do?

only one staying in the whole apartment at sukhumvit soi 107

landlord gave me her word, she would never cheat me, said she would give a contract, but never did. Said i could stay as long or as little as like, up to me.

stayed 3 months, gave half a months notice, had to return to country, sister died...

She said ok, no problem, would return all 12,000baht. 6000 for last month plus deposit = 12000.

Later, she says she had to make 'lots of renovations' (none), bla bla bla, and so will return just 'some' of the money...

After I moved, i came back with a teacher friend (thai), met with her (and her cousin and another person), we dicussed how much should be returned, minus utilities and then half of whats left. I agreed, just to get something, had enough of this bullshit by now.

Now, nothing, she has not contacted my friend as agreed, she has kept all 12000baht.

I would like to call the police, but doubt it would help. I would like to call and give her an earful, but doubt it would help, perhaps it would get some anger of my chest. Thais think u will just 'go away', its alot of money to so openly steal from someone...

What to do?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm,

Having never dealt with this type of situation in Thailand, I'm not sure. Personally, I'd just kiss the money goodbye. It's just not enough to worry about. I suppose I'd just assume that, whenever I moved into an apartment, the landlord will steal the deposit.......

Rex ::

Happens in about 1/3 of the people that I know. The worst was one of the teachers at school and they kept the entire 60,000 bhat since one of the marble tiles broke on the floor. His wife has some friends in the military / police which were called in to get some of it back. They still have not received one Bhat but think they might get some back

Another friend knew the owner was a cheat so took his 26000B deposit in the form of furniture.

Another friend also knew it was going to happen so called Canada and ran up a 10,000B bill and left the aircon on 24-7.

Not much you can do. I had a problem and called poice, lawyers, embassy and high powered friends. Even after a visit from a lawyer friend and a friend who is a senator, the landlord still kept the entire amount of my deposit.. Still pissed over that..

But If you are not in Thailand you have few options. This is a civil matter so the police told me to contact a lawyer which would have cost just as much in court fews and dragged it out in court for years.

Why not ask for assistance from the police to look into it and go in with the mind set the money is gone. Keep an open mind and maybe they will put your mind more at ease over the justification or maybe they will side with you. The fact she is keeping 100% doesn't look good for her. Document everything that was said with dates and the discussions that took place to give to the police.

The final resort would be to setup a simple web page with her picture and a statement about how she cheats tenants. Make sure she sees it and people in the building see it by printing it and sending it to her and posting it. While not getting your money back either it will make the person aware there are consequences to their actions.

given that you should better forget about it, not worth the headache. she can do a lot more to you than you can ever think of doing against her.

if she would be of less status, you might have a chance if you would be prepared to fight hardballs thai-style, but such a minor amount of money is simply not worth the risk which comes along with such a fight.

and fighting such a fight means you better are completely legal (not just a tourist visa), and have connections all over the place - including people who will be able to protect you against any sort of violence.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I agree and would prefer to just let it go, I've lived here long enough to know that 'little things' are not worth getting upset about, because when I get angry... :onfire:

(example, refuse to let taxi drivers ruin your day, get out, pay the 50baht, and get another one, finished.)

12000 seems alot, and it is! but then again, not when considering any negative repercussions, the hassel, the frustration... :down:

At 5am, in a flare, i wrang her up, heart pounding, ready to let out a rage...but no answer, and I know that I always regret doing that sort of thing, so perhaps for the better. But if she is going to keep, I'd at least be allowed to her what I think of her in a manner appropriate to a lieing, insincere, sniveling hypocrite. :cussing:

'high', 'low', a slut, a prick, TRUST NO ONE when it comes to housing and deposits. Like u say, u should pay the deposit with the thought u aint gonna get it back, better find a place where its not too high. :nono:

i have made some good and actually amazing experiences in LOS with some debt collection services. you do not have to pay upfront, you just pay 10-20% of the money collected.

but then of course there were larger amounts involved. their methods may be semilegal or beyond, but i do not care if it is successful.

12000baht i would just write off or try to collect myself; meet her by surprise when you really have a bad day (for example with a heavy hangover :beer::drunk:) and tell her that you will not go away until you see the money. or start to cry and play with her mercy.

Don't let her get away with it without a fight, you may never get it back but i think you will feel better about it if you try. People who roll and forget about it only help to encourage this sort of theft, give the bitch a hard time.

The web idea seems a good one, if you make a pest of yourself and make her loose face she might pay something just to get rid of you, I think that's what I would do. Chock Dee-peter

>>>Don't let her get away with it without a fight,<<<

i don't think that you understand what that might encompass.

i have recently been through such a fight (so far successful but there are still a few unresolved issues).

part of the fight was that i had twice the police in my house, that my landlady hired immigration officers against me (who could not do anything as my legal position is as good as it can get here).

i had to hire the first time in my life a lawyer, had to get some of my missus's brother's staying with us for protection, and had to get some of my local friends of the other side of legality involved too.

if my landlady would have been of high status i would be sitting here and posting from germany minus all my possessions. i have not the slightest doubt about that.

conflicts here have a tendency to escalate beyond comprehension as soon as it reaches the face stage, and one has to to think twice before fucking with someone here.

[quote, and one has to to think twice before fucking with someone here.

Which is the fear these sorts use when they fuck with us. I imagine this landlady does not know where the poster now lives, but if she does it might makes things worse. There are ways of making sure it costs them just as much as they have cost us, which hopefully would make them think about if it was worth it the next time.-peter

Archived